Cafe Racer Forum banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
quote:Originally posted by o1marc

I can still read your plate number through the tape.
Pipes look great, what did they charge you for that?
Re the plate, just did not want to make it too obvious, since you made the effort to figure it out you are welcome to it :D

The Jet Hot coating in the pipes were $110 a piece. Sticker shock went away after I saw the final product though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rassie

I can still read your plate number through the tape.
Pipes look great, what did they charge you for that?
Re the plate, just did not want to make it too obvious, since you made the effort to figure it out you are welcome to it :D

The Jet Hot coating in the pipes were $110 a piece. Sticker shock went away after I saw the final product though.
And you're not that far from me in North Ga, lol.
I made a point of checking out insurance rates for my race bike and found at Haggarty's classic car insurance I can insure mine for $40k in theft for only $33 a month. My bike literally would be irreplaceable if stolen so that takes a load off my mind. I can't picture in my mind going anywhere and not always having my bike in my eyesite. If they try to jack it from my place they have to get by 3 pit bulls, my gun, the video actuacted alarms (tells me you are there but not you), and the GPS tracking system if they do get away with it.
They did say I would not be covered while racing. I told them I didn't care so much about crash coverage as I was about theft.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
quote:
I made a point of checking out insurance rates for my race bike and found at Haggarty's classic car insurance I can insure mine for $40k in theft for only $33 a month.
That is a deal, thanks for the tip. I have often wondered if regular Geico or Allstate insurance at the normal replacement rate is good for my bikes. Will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I just checked my State Farm agent and full coverage with a $2k deductible would run me $467 a year with a max NADA value of $13K. If I wanted to insure it through them for it's true value of between $30-$40K I would have to document with receipts the value of every part on the thing. If it were stolen they would say my Ceriani front forks would be worth less than the $150 I paid for them 35 years ago even though replacement value to day is upwards of $1K

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #167

If it were stolen they would say my Ceriani front forks would be worth less than the $150 I paid for them 35 years ago even though replacement value to day is upwards of $1K
They clearly don't get it..

·
Registered
965 Posts
Nice build.

As for insurance, it's my opinion that no mainstream insurance carrier that primarily deals with commodities is going to provide you with great value coverage for your vintage or specialty bike. Even if you have an agreed value policy, lock tight documentation, etc. you're still running a risk because their operations are just not ideal for old stuff. So you can take your chances and self-insure the difference between what a big company thinks your bike is worth and what you think it's worth. Or you can go with a specialty insurance company who knows what your Ceriani GP forks are worth today and what it takes to procure a replacement set and will actually help you beyond just cutting a check.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I never had any intention of insuring through my regular insurance with State Farm. They save me huge money on my life, car and homeowners insurance but this bike is a whole different animal that I knew would need to go through Hagerty or someone similar. I was merely pointing out the differences between a normal carrier and a specialty carrier for our type of vintage classic restored valued bikes. One main point was how surprised I was at how affordable $40k of coverage was.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
All this talk about insurance makes me nervous, just went and checked my garage to make sure all my scooters are still there..phew..:)

Anyway I have made some real progress and apologies upfront for no pictures but I will make up for it this weekend. I finished the paint on the motor and got it back in the frame.

Also got the expansion chambers on and fabbed up some mounts for it.

Also had to make some different mounting plates for the rear sets since the expansion chambers kick up in the rear more than anticipated.

Fitted the standard chain and the alignment is spot on, however clearance is tight about 2mm at the tire and about 2mm at the mount for the chain guard. Me thinks an o-ring chain may not work here.

And finally modded the side/kick stand to clear the exhausts. Pictures to follow.

Here are some pics of some of the things done.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Got some more stuff done. Took off the clutch cover to see what it looks like inside there and also replace the kick start seal. Looking pretty nice, this motor is very clean inside. I am starting to think it was a great idea not to rebuild it :D

Shot of the clutch..

and after buttoning the whole thing up again with new SS bolts and fresh gasket and some polishing.

And the other side also after some polishing.

Full right side view with the chambers on, the hangers are off to be powder coated.

Full left side view.

Rear view and some shots from the front.

Next is the Electronic Ignition and some left over wiring, then the radiator will go on. The rad was a bitch to get clean. I must have washed it out 15 times with 3 different solutions (CLR, Evaporust, Purple Power) but I did manage to get it very clean and a lot of shit did come out of it.

Then the carburetors have to be stripped and cleaned and re-jetted for the chambers. Hopefully all of this will be done before Xmas. 2013 is when I want to spend time on the paintwork.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
So I have not been posting much due to the unexciting work I was doing. Stuff like installing the Electronic Ignition, polishing the side covers, bleeding the 2 stroke oiling system and so on. Nothing that actually requires any fabrication work. Also stripped and cleaned the carbs, new jets arrived today so I am ready to put those back on. Waiting for the new K&N filters and as soon as they show up there is no reason why I cannot fire the bike up. Exciting idea that, but more later in the week. So the last couple of days I was struggling to figure out how to cut the holes in the fairing for the headlights. They have to protrude through sections on the fairing that is not flat so the holes will have to be kinda oval. Anyway after some brain power enhancing malted beverages the ideas started flowing and I came up with the idea pictured below. Basically it is two round plastic lids bolted to a bracket that is then bolted to the center points on the fairing centering the holes. Then you make a hole for the pen or Sharpy to go through and you make little dots as you go around and hey presto perfectly aligned holes. Also have some shots of the cleaned carbs..

Clean carbs...

Polished the tops.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
that's neat and all but personally I would like liked to have seen some external marchal driving lights and leave the fairing full race.

I know you are going for a certain look and all, and it is your bike, but I just don't see setups like that anymore and I kinda miss them.
That does look cool and my friend Johann has just finished building a Ducati F1 endurance replica with those lights. Mine do stick out the front about .5" center to about 1" on the sides, so do kinda look like the ones you like. I will post pictures of the pre assembled bike tomorrow. I put the whole thing together to check the fit before I strip it all down for paint again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Fired up the bike this afternoon. I went with 115 jets from the stock 110. Should be OK to get a baseline. If it is too lean still I will go to 120 mains as suggested on the Sundial forum. Here is a video.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #178 (Edited)
Here is a picture from the front to show how the lights turned out. They are not sitting 100% center in the holes I have to adjust them some to get it perfect.

Here is another side view. Took these just before the jets arrived in the mail, so carbs are still off here.

161 - 180 of 204 Posts