Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, since i accidentially hijacked my own thread...thought i'd start a new one..all about guitars, and guitar building!

my current project...tele thinline w/ bigsby

body= luthier
neck= warmoth ( 24 3/4" gibson scale conversion)
finish= neck-tru oil, body-nitro (vintage blonde)

hey geet, though expensive, warmoth is top quality stuff...you might have a decent wait time if you order something custom...i waited 3 months for my neck (has vintage jazz bass style block inlay), i wouldn't recommend their finish work though, since its poly (just like the original reissue body)

hey bull, how did that trem on the SG work out? i've thought many times on putting a trem on my sg classic (w/ p-90s), but can't bring myself to put any holes in the body just yet...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I have three basses, and one guitar:

- Early 70's Fender Mustang Bass, in Competition Blue w/racing stripe (30" short scale)
- '94 Fender P-bass, bought new in High School (Mexican made, the "mexi-bass")
- Mid 70's Gibson Ripper Bass ala Gene Simmons circa 1975/Mike Dirnt
- 90's Gibson "the Paul II" (poor mans Les Paul, similar to a Les Paul Studio)

Vintage drums are more of my thing though. Have two nice late 60's Ludwig kits, recently sold off a '72 Zickos clear acrylic kit to raise ca$h for my SV650.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Last year I built a workaday common ass strat replica from various parts I ordered from WD Music....does that count?
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Electric:

- Japanese Jaguar HH (dual humbuckers) reissue in all black.

- Yamaha Custom, Lake placid blue, Twin Duncan Humbuckers. Built in Long Beach California for a friend of mine, I won it in a poker game.

Acoustic:

- 1978 Ovation Balladeer (with an aluminum neck).
- 1996 Martin Two Piece Back Archtop (not sure of the model)
- 2000 Austin AU690 Dobro
- Unknown Classical/Folk guitar from the 1980s (nylon strings)

Yeah about the only thing I would have Warmoth do if they did the refinishing is candy colors over heavy since I can't really break out the real paint guns to shoot candy over heavy flake. I am debating just buying a body or building a whole jazzmaster/jaguar from warmoth. I really like the neck on my yammi and am not totally convinced I like the jaguar neck. Either way I have to do something since that bridge buzzing is pissing me off.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
BTW....what do y'all think of the Jagstang? I have always lusted after one of these puppies for no other reason than the nirvana connection. I am half considering buying a body and building one (either used or warmoth). Curious what y'all think....

BTW....guitars with clubmans are gay.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I having bought tons of gear ,guitars and amps and pedals alike.I have to always have a Strat.I can bang on it and its like a good tough pair of jeans and when it gets old and wears in its just like an old friend.(wait that sounds gay)
I have always like the 60s and 70s oddball looking guitars,but they ussually had playability issues that just make you not want to play them everyday .
The jagstang is a modern idea.not bad. The stangs necks are very child like at the top so it rules out real ones.And Real jaquars and jazz masters are out of reach even as a reissue as they want to much for them.
I do think the way to go is to build your own.Also I think building your own guitar period is the way to go then its yours who cares about value.2012 is coming it wont matter.Mayan calander is ticking away.Just enjoy your guitar play and have fun.
I have built a strat with lip stick pick ups,also with guitar fetish pick ups ,fender custom shop pick ups and Id do it again its cheap fun .
I love my 15"speaker Peavey Delta Blues Amp.I love my bbe green screamer and my electroharmnix reverb .Stevie Ray Vaughan and I have church everyday .And when the wife isnt around the neighbors hear the preaching blues too..!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Geeto id just go buy price because things add up quick.get the best wood you can aford BUT DONT BE ANAL the prices get crasy and you suck the fun out of it.get a neck with frets on it it takes a lot of time to do frets properly (alot of Time)hey after building a few guitars you realize just how nice even the low end import guitars are in fit finnish and believe it or not TONE alot of pick ups stock arent bad at all.(a newbie misnomer ,is to just change out the pick ups first thing)A tube amp will show just how fun alot of these import pick ups can be.

Id change pick ups if you felt your guitar is just stail to your ears ,it may give you some inspiration to play it more,But really some pedals can do the same boost in the fun facter then pick up change.Have full sized standard pots and good wire is always GOOD!
I hav ebeen very happy with all Guitar Fetish parts .best price for real quality pick ups ,pots I have found ...and there are tons out there.

warmoth, All Parts and whom ever else all make good bodys ,everything may need tweeking and is to be expected.Or get a guitar thats together and refinish it and change pick ups and parts so at least you have something you know goes together.Id also buy the neck (with frets installed from the same maker as the body .There are suttle differences you not going to see till you try putting it together.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I forgot Geeto wear on a guitar is not a bad thing thin breathable non durable finnishes will make the wood sing all it can.Nitro is the best for guitar finnish never mind thin ITS IN

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey geet, you should try a wraparound bridge..it should eliminate all that buzz, and they make lots of new ones that are adjustable for proper intonation (the old gibson style arent adjustable, but look cool). here's a link:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges.html

that jaguar almost definitely needs a tremolo though....you need a trem for crazy dive bomb surf effects! if you don't feel like drilling, you could get one like this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Les_Trem_Stop-Tailpiece_Tremolos.html

yeah the jagstang is cool...i love the 24" scale mustang necks! some people hate them though....its all up to scale preference i guess...standard 25.5" fender scale feels too big and clunky to me...i also like the vintage thin frets...i don't care for the medium jumbos that are on everything these days...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah bull...i totally agree....some of my favorite pickups have been the crappiest microphonic p-ups i could find! my pseudo-scientific theory is that microphonics just let you hear more of what's going on in the guitar....so you have a nice piece of wood that really sings...the microphonic pickups will just pick up MORE of that...

speaking of great guitars with shitty/awesome pickups....the most under-rated (but steadily growing in value) guitar has to be the 60's hagstroms.....nicest/fastest necks i've ever played, and amazingly raw sounding pickups...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also geeto i was thinking....gibson (and some others) make a P-90 pickup that fits into a humbucker routing...if you ever play a P-90 equipped guitar on a sweet vintage tube amp....you'll probably never go back to humbuckers again...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
There is a bare real fender jagstang body for sale on ebay....(I know, breaking the boycott), I am trying to pick that sucker up. Can you imagine a metallic copper jagstang with twin lipsticks and a duncan humbucker? Singing to me already. I could wire to use the lipsticks for the surf stuff and If I need a little metal crunch throw the switch on the 'bucker.

My yammi has a trem, I like it for being an old fashoned wammy, but the jag I kinda want to avoid puttin a trem in as she is a pain in the ass to keep in tune as is. The jagstang however might benefit from it.

My birthday is Friday and I actually had to stop myself....my local guitar center has a slightly loved heavy flake gold Gretch hollow body with a Bigsby for $400 flat. It is a Tiwanese made one so I was a little leery, and a new asian gretch is $550....but man that heavy heavy gold flake is calling my name.......

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:My birthday is Friday
So's my daughter Isabella's, and also Edward Gorey's (speaking of gay).

I'm going to hijack this thread tomorrow, with a photo of the coolest souvenir from a family vacation ever!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
really and truely its very hard to find a real crappy guitar these days or amp or pedal..it truely is the best time to start to play as the quality and options are S T A G G E R I N G.
And for those that have been playing so much to choice from...just cant listen to any of the hype till you have played for five years or more continually.Till then your ,not getting any "tone" benifits from any up grade.just play your ass off !

Geeto check out Guitar Fetish They have up graded lips stick pick ups I used them in a strat they were very satisfing better then expected.meaty and soulful.
Heres a good primer site for any would be builder.

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/Saga_ht-10_build.html

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well, I have several guitars and one banjo.
Yamaha C40 (Nope, not a two stroke)
Epiphone full body acoustic
A Fender Strat
A Baby Taylor which I placed a Martin pickup in.
A 1968 Fender Strat tatoo (I got it when I was a rebel in HS) lol

* I am on the hunt for a 1958 80 Watt Twin Reverb Amp. and one that won't cost more then my house. I know Fender reissued the 1965 twin reverb amp a few years ago, but I am looking for true vintage.

Sounds like we have some talented USCRA racers out there. I suggest that we bring up our guitars, basses, drums, etc. and have a jam at the Wanker camp ground. I know, no Grateful Dead tunes allowed...see I am a learnin'! Jerome John "Jerry" Garcia, rest in peace!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Old ass Tele with a Tex/Mex in the tail and a Strat pickup in on the bridge. Black with a maple neck (California) and a mop pickguard.
Gretsch SparkleMatic in Heavy Red Flake with two DiMarzios I added. That Sum'bitch rips!
Old ass Tobacco burst Epiphone acoustic. Payed almost nothing for it and it sounds beautiful.

Speaking of Mustangs. About six years ago, I picked up a Mustang on E-bay and ditched the shorty neck in favor of a Tele style neck. I can't remember who made it but it was a bolt on deal. That was a great guitar. Sold it and a fucking Les Paul Gold Top!! to move to Wyoming! I was a complete dumbass. Stayed in Wyoming a grand total of a year and moved again. Needless to say I've never been able to afford another Gold Top.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hey, not sure if you guys will know about this or not...but.

I'm pulling some music off CD's, editing the files in Adobe Audition to cut them down to just the guitar solos I'm interested in. But...when I burn the resulting WAV files to an audio CD they won't play. So far what I've learned is that they newer 80 minute CD's which are the most common these days don't play well or at all in older CD's players. And yes I'm using at least a 10-15 year old, cheapo boom box CD player.
Anybody run into this before?
JohnnyB

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey JB,

yeah that's the big argument against digital these days...future compatibility and reliability...i've heard stories of bands who recorded their MASTERS onto data CDs 5-10 years ago...and now they are completely worthless because they don't work anymore!

anyway...that could be a long, long rambling rant...the only thing i could suggest would be to try a few different things, like try a few different programs like itunes/windowsmedia/etc...also you could just have a batch of bad discs (happens with my DVDRs all the time, but i usually buy cheapos)...

my favorite really simple and free program for editing is "Audacity".

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Great thing about cafe bikes and guitars you can make them the way you want and have fun .There arent to many women you can do that with or much of anything else really.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hey...since we have some guitar guys here. I could use some advice. I've played on and off for 40 years...mostly off for the last 6 years since I severed four fingers on my left hand (reattached).

Ok....when that happened I sold my 1985 Les Paul Standard, my 63 Vibroverb amp and my mid 90's Eric Clapton model Fender Strat (US made).

Now I'm playing a POS stat copy I put together myself. I'm thinking about buying an actual guitar that someone manufactured :). I like the Les Paul for some things, liked the Strat for others, in general...probably like that strat more.

Can you guys suggest a good used guitar in the $500 range? Nothing fancy or rare, just the basics. And yes that would include used Strats (if still in the price range these days). Not tremendously concerned about finish, but want no problems, nothing hacked up etc. I'm just not sure what $500 will buy in the market today. I have no real preference for neck size or shape. I'm unlikey to ever play well enough again for it to matter.
Thanks,
JohnnyB

PS. My first electric was a late 60's Hagstrom (2000 I think it was called) Clear plastic front about 1/2" thick, strat style body, ebony fret board (real ebony), and a Jordon solid state 100 watt amp. Still have my first guitar ever, a 1966 Sear Silvertone accoustic.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts