Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I thought bio-pace/elliptic chain rings were originally designed for triathlon riders as many/most didn't use clip in pedals/shoes and even many who did clip in didn't have good pedal technique. (didn't 'pull' through tdc/bdc and 'upstroke)
Should be set so max available torque is on 'down stroke' (1 to 5 o'clock position, biggest part of 'oval' at 3 o'clock)
I've tried them, they feel pretty weird after normal chain rings but didn't notice as much difference with BMX style pedals.
If your going to use flat pedals they may be an advantage.
Parks, the sticker says Bio-Pace, thought everyone saw it?

PJ

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I thought bio-pace/elliptic chain rings were originally designed for triathlon riders as many/most didn't use clip in pedals/shoes and even many who did clip in didn't have good pedal technique. (didn't 'pull' through tdc/bdc and 'upstroke)
Should be set so max available torque is on 'down stroke' (1 to 5 o'clock position, biggest part of 'oval' at 3 o'clock)
I've tried them, they feel pretty weird after normal chain rings but didn't notice as much difference with BMX style pedals.
If your going to use flat pedals they may be an advantage.
Parks, the sticker says Bio-Pace, thought everyone saw it?

PJ

·
Registered
258 Posts
Had a running joke at the bike shop about how if one of our rookie mechanics fucks up, we're gonna put a biopace chainring on his singlespeed one day just to mess with him. Sometime last summer, customer comes in with a conversion fixie, and he's running a biopace chainring, wondering why he can't get the chain tension right.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Had a running joke at the bike shop about how if one of our rookie mechanics fucks up, we're gonna put a biopace chainring on his singlespeed one day just to mess with him. Sometime last summer, customer comes in with a conversion fixie, and he's running a biopace chainring, wondering why he can't get the chain tension right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
To Retro Tony
Believe it or not, Hercules ( and Raleigh) was bought by AMF (American Machine -or Manufacturing- and Foundary) in the USA sometime - along with Harley Davison and Indian - and sold them over here in the USA. Picked one up for a dollar at a yard sale last year - nostalgia. Used to ride a Hercules to school in the 1960's in the UK. Frame is good, rest is not so good. Took it into the local bike shop where they had a Raleigh with a Cartlon sticker on the frame, Weiman centerpulls and Campognolo gears, crank, pedals, quick release hubs etc. Lovely vintage bike.
The Brits sold lots into the USA late 60's and early 70's besides Commandos and Bonnevilles.
Lastman

·
Registered
69 Posts
To Retro Tony
Believe it or not, Hercules ( and Raleigh) was bought by AMF (American Machine -or Manufacturing- and Foundary) in the USA sometime - along with Harley Davison and Indian - and sold them over here in the USA. Picked one up for a dollar at a yard sale last year - nostalgia. Used to ride a Hercules to school in the 1960's in the UK. Frame is good, rest is not so good. Took it into the local bike shop where they had a Raleigh with a Cartlon sticker on the frame, Weiman centerpulls and Campognolo gears, crank, pedals, quick release hubs etc. Lovely vintage bike.
The Brits sold lots into the USA late 60's and early 70's besides Commandos and Bonnevilles.
Lastman

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Triathalon was this morning. I had to roust 4 surly kids from their beds at 6:00am to get us there on time - Gurl split at 5:00! We did nothing to the bike but install new tires (thanks Matt). I offered to replace the seat with that from her Cannondale, but she refused. Gurl finished 10th out of 38 participants in her age group (50th out of 221 participants overall). I've been prohibited from disclosing her swim finish, but she finished 8th in the run, and most importantly, 4th in her age group (16th out of 221 overall) for the bicycle leg! Well done, I'd say, for her first try/tri.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Congratulations passed along.

Casey's sweater didn't get mailed off yet due to budget concerns (yes, it's that tight). Student loans seem to have come in today, however (more about that below), so if you expect to be at Mid-Ohio I think it might be easier to bring it there. As for pit crew... as said, I did nothing to prepare that bike... however, she had two friends who raced alongside her, one of whom waited for her to complete the swimming leg... and both envied her $30 road bike greatly, as they both rode mountain bikes.

Student loans (Ken, are you listening?)... I may get foolish & spend some of it on the racebike - still not racing this year, unless somebody lends me leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, bike... (and can get me past security with a license, etc. - would be fun to try, no?)... I'm not sure how I ended up with so much "free" money, but today's disbursement has saved the Mid-O trip (Hooray!).

At any rate, Gurl & I, being on a budget, still plan to picnic, so John & all in his tent can plan to eat well! I'll see you girls in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
(this is Gurl, under the guise of Judey)

Thanks Tex! Fyi, Judey did help....not to mention tires and tubes, but - can't tell you how fun it was to get into the transitions and smack hands with him and all our little ones.

Are you bringing Casey to Mid-O? Or am I going to be the only one around with common sense?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Judey,
I'm listening. I know for a fact that you can race on student loan money. I am joining the ranks of the unemployed starting on Thursday. Federal funds to our grant got cut so 30% of the staff had to go. So I guess I will have to take another principal job. Hopefully, I will get one sometime in July. Therefore, my racing budget has been slashed to the bone. I will see you at Mid-ohio, but I may not be racing. I will be camping in my truck, so we can grill out and drink beer all night, no motel for me.

Ken

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
that's the spirit. ken i might be right along beside you drinking and grilling. we'll see if the racebike comes together.

judey, i'll throw my vanson leathers in the truck so you can try them on. if they fit you, i will loan them to you. my old astars sm-x boots you can have if you will fit into a 45 euro (11 1/2 us). they are in good shape, however one sole needs to be glued on (it is half off....i raced for half a season with it duct taped to the boot). gloves.....same thing sunshine. if you fit in the same size glove that i wear, i'll give you my old revit's (these i'll give you in hopes that you'll wear them on the street instead of those abortions you call gloves that you wear). the revit gt corse is an AWESOME glove, and these have been lightly worn.

so i'm pretty sure you'll fit in my full custon vanson. i hope the boots and gloves work too. now all you need is a snell 2005 or 2010 lid and you are good to go.

we can talk about that last hurdle trackside.....with a couple beers in our hands.

cheers,

tex

p.s. - no sweat on the sweater....just bring it with you.

tex

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Texy,
I have a stocker cb350 motor I just put back together, should I bring it? If so I'll start it up and make sure it runs and pull it back out of the frame.

Ken

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

now all you need is a snell 2005 or 2010 lid and you are good to go.
Judey - What size helmet do you wear? I might have a new 2005 Snell lid to trade for a minor woodworking project.......

Jim

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
flyers sweater....re: jersey.

it was a gift i got her before playoffs. i took it to detroit as i figured catboy and judey (wings fans) would get a kick out of it if i wore it into a bar when we caught up over some beers.

i left the 250champ thong at home.

tex

21 - 40 of 42 Posts