Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine, really, but Gurl has wanted a booth in her kitchen for some time. I bought her a couple sheets of plywood for Christmas, and construction began Wed. Budget prohibits any motorcycle progress these days, and catboy told me I should post this... just in case any are interested.

As I said, started out as 2 sheets of plywood (BC, for those of you in the know).

Holes are going to be receive drawers. No sense letting the space go to waste.

Fuck-ups... not sure how to explain the carpenter's square, but the dado is supposed to line up with the piece on top of it. Measure twice, cut once? At any rate, Judey's gettin' a new square sooner than later:

Here's my repair. It's in a spot where it won't show... little glue, sand it flush, and re-cut that f**king dado where it's supposed to be.

Question for you electrical guys... The booth is going to cover an electrical outlet, and my plan is to install a box in the front, and run a piece of romex with a plug on the end, wiring it in like an extension cord. Make sense? She kinda needs the outlet, but I'd rather not get into electrical work... not my forte. You can see where I plan to mount the outlet.

Excessively dangerous, that?

Time is short at the moment, but hopefully I can post progress more soon.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Not dangerous, if it were me, Id buy and extension cord or pigtail for the length you need in 12/2wg. That way youve got a molded plug on the one end, and you can cut the female off the other and strip it back to install it into your box and mount it. Dont cut your hole the same size as the cover plate - get yourself a cut in type 1g box (P&S# S1-18-W) and use that to mark your cut-out.

How deep is the booth? For the pigtail length?

Ill give you a BOM with Pass and Seymour electrical catalog numbers cause thats what we stock...

Total you should need:
1: S1-18-W single gang cut-in box.
1: TR3232 (color) duplex receptacle, tamper resistant if code requires, otherwise just a 3232(color) make sure its rated for stranded wire.
1: TP-8(color) Receptacle plate
1: 12/2 w/g pigtail, length to suit.

No wirenuts, or special tools needed. Just a utility knife and a #2 square driver.

All totaled should be less than $10.00

If you want, I can rig it up, Im sure I have the stuff in my garage pile of extras. All you'd have to do is cut the hole.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
you would be much better off taking out the existing receptacle
wire nutting a romex cable in, close the box with a blank cover
put in the new box put the receptacle back in with the cover plate,
all you need are 2 wire nuts 1 box and a blank cover, and 2 connectors so the wire doesn't chafe on the box,
prob. less than 10 bucks, still not really legal, you not supposed to hide a box of any kind, but i would do it

·
Registered
968 Posts
6 for one, 1/2 dozen the other. If you use the plastic cut in box, connectors not needed, they are built into the box.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Being a like minded bunch, it seems there are a lot of us whom have similar projects, backgrounds, and skill sets.

So most of the inquiries here seem to be covered pretty well.

Ive been in the electrical biz for about 10 years now. So when questions about this stuff pop up, I like to help.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i have a set of church pew ends i have been dying to make into a breakfast nook. you should have used nicer ply, then edge banded it. or built the entire thing form hardwood.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Progress this morning:

(didn't notice that Busch can when I took the picture. Hey... it's afternoon here, barely... 12:30)

You can see the outlet I'm hiding here:

Gambler, I like your idea about buying an extension cord with a molded end. I think that's how I'm going to deal with it. Bench tops will open for more storage, so I'm thinking of putting a false back under there to keep naughty children from knocking the plug out accidentally.

Here's my 8yr old who climbed in through the drawer opening & spent nearly an hour out of my way.

We're trying to evoke the booths from this now closed Ann Arbor institution, Drake's sandwich shop. Established by Truman Tibbals in 1927, in business until the mid-90s & never remodeled. It finally closed when Tibbals died in his nineties. I have a porcelain art deco sconce we plan to mount on the wall above the table, like in the photos below. Even painting the same color scheme, entirely by coincidence.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drower/3246106602/in/set-72157613217331875/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drower/3246121070/in/set-72157613217331875/
(sorry, I was unable to steal & post these pics... links only)

Edit: Found this online today; What I'm aiming for:

Joe, I think Gurl's hot. Making it from plywood (I was mistaken... AC, not BC) due to budget constraints & it's getting painted anyway. I'm gonna cut some bungs & plug my screw holes... prime & paint. Going for an art deco feel. It'll do well in her kitchen. Plus, she doesn't expect to own this house beyond 4 or 5years, and this one's a "practice exercise" for the next one. I have a stack of black walnut in my parents' shed, but saving it for something I'm not going to have to leave behind.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Gurl had a long day... but apparently her new booth is comfortable enough. Snoring like a team of lumberjacks. Hard to convey the space properly in photos, but maybe you get the idea. Last pic is bad. Gonna try & mock up a table tomorrow to find the optimum SFtD distance before we cut into the Linoleum & secure things to the floor permanently.

Incidentally, the photo I edited into my post this morning was taken by a close friend of my ex, who I met through my brother. "Stole" & posted it from a Facebook group before I realized. I let her know, and she didn't mind. Good girl. Class tomorrow at 1:00, so I may have more for you before then Gambler (you seem to be the only one following ;) ).

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Judey,
I'm following, too. I am just wondering why you don't have a racebike together yet. You got enough parts from me to have a complete race bike except for tires. The motor ran in the complete bike, the frame is welded in the rolling chassis with rebuilt forks, good shocks and alloy rims. No money required so far and yet, you are playing with sticks.

Ken

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Judey, are you planning on adding the turned "leg" pieces too?
Very cool man....don't know much about woodwork, always thought it was cool but when I try stuff it looks like a 3rd grader's birdhouse or a fairly accurate representation of one of Mr.Thigpen's posts rendered in wood...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No turnings. I don't have a lathe. Going to have a post under the table, but square... unless I can find a donor post from something.

·
Registered
968 Posts
playing with sticks, tea bagging, hell of a cheering section! (funny as shit tho)

For the leg - have you shopped good will or salvation army for an old table with spiffy turned legs you could re-commission for your table?

Or we have here a habitat for humanity operated reclamation center. They recycle and save what most people would just toss. But they have a good eye for quality, old wood, old work, and never to be found again household hardware. Knobs, switches, LIGHTS, tiles etc...kinda like the budget Rejuvination http://www.rejuvenation.com/

You can get some really cool stuff for pennies on the dollar.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trim, aside from turnings will be very similar. I have been to local Habitat thrift store... once. They didn't have much the day I went. I think it's one of those places you have to look into on a regular basis. I have been informed, however, that Gurl's brother has donated a newell post to the project, and depending how rococo it is, it might become a nice table leg. Also news to me, her father (local) has a lathe, so she might talk him into turning something.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts