Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Looking good, Judey. I hope the scavenged leg works out, recycled wood always adds some character. I'm guessing the green paint you use will be the same as what's already on the walls in there? it probably should be, as two greens in one space will be weird (out comes the art degree). looks way cool, man. keep us posted.

The Re-Store (Habitat Store) is definitely a place you have to check regularly, and while some of their pricing is great, some of it is totally senseless:

4 bulb 4' fluorescent box light for $5? sure! half a can of caulk for $3? umm, no.

new-ish cabinets, $10/piece? heck yes! partially used pint cans of shit-colored paint, $5? don't think so.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i like seeing the little ramones about....makes me miss michigan.

coming out before the end of the month bros!

catboy.....no pussin' out this time.

(sorry you had to shave your beard!)

(mine will be all lumberjacky by then fo sho!)

texy

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
reverend tex,

the ONLY thing that will stop me would be my kid schedule again. if you know the date, or date range for that matter, i could tell you right now!

hell, if god smiles on us all, i won't have my girls and there will be a game to watch!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tex - You are welcome to skip the hotel and stay at my house if you would like...(I have Judey's approval). Thinking of taking you to a place in Ann Arbor called Blimpy's. Incredible, grease dripping, artery clogging hamburgers....just what we all need! Give us an approximate date and we will plan ahead this time.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Doesn't look like much progress, but it's considerable - mostly internal & structural.

Benches have hinged lids for storage, as shown. Included Baby Sister... this is a motorcycle forum, after all. Used that bike to fetch a 12-pack before beginning work this afternoon.
We mocked up a table, for test fit, Fri night. Too high by an inch & too wide.

I had to help load a brother's moving truck all day yesterday, and Gurl worked until midnight... plus we were also busy with this, so not as much done as hoped:

You can catch glimpses of her other kitchen furniture, including the cabinet the bread's sitting on, to get an idea of decor I'm trying not to offend.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Drawer is only a temporary one, made quickly for a test fit... gives you an idea of the concept.

Ready to bring it inside, scribe to the walls, and start gluing the thing together...

I still have to make armrests, and figure out some other trim pieces - later this week. Then we paint, and start work on the table. Hopefully, Gurl is picking up the newell post this evening... and trying to get some free lumber from her father.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
A dado is a wonderful thing. Thank God for the dado. Looking real good. What about the electrical outlet? And does that hinged seat/door not want to give a little when sat upon?

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
o.k., i'll be in shelby twp, michigan wedneday and thursday next week. gonna plan on seeing some other potential customers on friday and saturday too in detroit/ann arbor/grand rapids......

probably gonna get there on tuesday night. i'll stay at this hotel that is close to the video shoot. i could hook up with you all wednesday night, but thursday night or friday night might be easier for me.

let me know where, who, and when.

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
o.k., i'll be in shelby twp, michigan wedneday and thursday next week. gonna plan on seeing some other potential customers on friday and saturday too in detroit/ann arbor/grand rapids......

probably gonna get there on tuesday night. i'll stay at this hotel that is close to the video shoot. i could hook up with you all wednesday night, but thursday night or friday night might be easier for me.

let me know where, who, and when.

tex

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
dammit! wednesday and thursday are awful for me. and we're hopping a plane to mexico at the crack of dawn friday morning.

BUT, it looks like you're out here quite a bit these days, so i'm hopeful the wealth of opportunities will pay off sooner than later!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
dammit! wednesday and thursday are awful for me. and we're hopping a plane to mexico at the crack of dawn friday morning.

BUT, it looks like you're out here quite a bit these days, so i'm hopeful the wealth of opportunities will pay off sooner than later!

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
planning my schedule now......might be able to swing tuesday night as long as it isn't late. i gotta be sharp on wednesday! monday night is out as i roll into detroit uber late from traveling and working ohio all day. tueday i have a full plate starting at 9am and going till 6pm. some of these appointments might not be able to see me on tuesday, that is why i left friday open. i have decided against grand rapids & kalamazoo, so i will be heading back to pennsylvania on friday around 2pm.

so......maybe!

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
planning my schedule now......might be able to swing tuesday night as long as it isn't late. i gotta be sharp on wednesday! monday night is out as i roll into detroit uber late from traveling and working ohio all day. tueday i have a full plate starting at 9am and going till 6pm. some of these appointments might not be able to see me on tuesday, that is why i left friday open. i have decided against grand rapids & kalamazoo, so i will be heading back to pennsylvania on friday around 2pm.

so......maybe!

tex

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Dragged this shit home today:

The table I trash picked - mahogany & veneer - I was thinking I could cut it up to make drawers... free hardwood is good. The "beam" I got from my sister's garage - it's a fake mantel from her basement rec room which has never had a fireplace... but it's 5/4" oak.

After thinking it over, I decided I'm going to make the table top out of this one. Veneer's separating around the edges, and legs are fucked - not worth the trouble to repair, but I can cut it down to the part where the veneer hasn't failed. So, after an hour, it became a pile of lumber:

Gonna cut the top to the size I need & glue up a solid piece. And, the two turned posts... both too short for a table leg, but perhaps I can combine them somehow to make them work. The long newell post is the free one from her brother. Leaves a little to be desired.

But most importantly... the two pieces in the very front of that last photo... gonna put things together so we can extend the table with leaves! There's nothing I can't complicate.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Dragged this shit home today:

The table I trash picked - mahogany & veneer - I was thinking I could cut it up to make drawers... free hardwood is good. The "beam" I got from my sister's garage - it's a fake mantel from her basement rec room which has never had a fireplace... but it's 5/4" oak.

After thinking it over, I decided I'm going to make the table top out of this one. Veneer's separating around the edges, and legs are fucked - not worth the trouble to repair, but I can cut it down to the part where the veneer hasn't failed. So, after an hour, it became a pile of lumber:

Gonna cut the top to the size I need & glue up a solid piece. And, the two turned posts... both too short for a table leg, but perhaps I can combine them somehow to make them work. The long newell post is the free one from her brother. Leaves a little to be desired.

But most importantly... the two pieces in the very front of that last photo... gonna put things together so we can extend the table with leaves! There's nothing I can't complicate.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Didn't realize there's a beer in almost every photo, even the very first one (bonus points for finding it). Carpentry is a thirsty business.
There's no sag in the bench tops. If you look closely, I put a ledge along both sides of the opening to keep them from doing just that. Plus, the lids are only about 12 or 14"... not a terribly long span for 3/4", especially considering the support along the sides of the opening. Yes, I do still need to cut in an electrical box.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Didn't realize there's a beer in almost every photo, even the very first one (bonus points for finding it). Carpentry is a thirsty business.
There's no sag in the bench tops. If you look closely, I put a ledge along both sides of the opening to keep them from doing just that. Plus, the lids are only about 12 or 14"... not a terribly long span for 3/4", especially considering the support along the sides of the opening. Yes, I do still need to cut in an electrical box.

21 - 40 of 146 Posts