Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very nice couple dropped this off to me today.
They'd paid someone up front to restore the little Guzzi for them. He got as far as stripping the bike down, and getting some parts sprayed, then gave up.
From what I've been told it's taken a year for them to get the bike back, and lost a fair few pound notes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spent quite a few hours going through boxes of bits. Seems to be a few parts missing, and a fair ammount looks a bit rough.
By the time brake calipers/exhaust/shocks, and a load of other stuff's sorted the cost is already over a grand, and that's before any engine/electrics issues.
Don't know why anyone would go to the trouble of respraying the rear shocks as they seem to need a rebuild, probably cheaper, and easier to get new ones.
I'll have to do some more reading up on the steering head bearings mod, don't think it's going to be straight forward tho.
Thought I'd give myself a bit of encouragement, and loosely bolt a few parts together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spent quite a few hours trying to get the engine cleaned up. It's a bit of an improvement, but could really do with vapour blasting.
A very strange thing happened this afternoon. I asked my boy to give me a hand to get the engine back in the frame, he didn't moan, and no money changed hands.....Result.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks knappy.... I've got more than a few concerrns over this one.
Even if I can get the engine running, and the electrics work (which I doubt) it'll cost an arm, and a leg to sort everything out.
I think the owner would be much better off to forget about the Guzzi, and buy something a bit more modern, as she wants to use the bike daily.
When I suggested that she didn't seem too keen.

Spent a few hours today putting the wiring loom on, just half a dozen chooped wires to sort out, and order a battery.
Got a bit fed up with the electrics, so thought I'd take a quick look at the brakes, and promptly put all the parts back in the box.
The alternator's seen better days.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Thanks knappy.... I've got more than a few concerrns over this one.
Even if I can get the engine running, and the electrics work (which I doubt) it'll cost an arm, and a leg to sort everything out.
I think the owner would be much better off to forget about the Guzzi, and buy something a bit more modern, as she wants to use the bike daily.
When I suggested that she didn't seem too keen.

Spent a few hours today putting the wiring loom on, just half a dozen chooped wires to sort out, and order a battery.
Got a bit fed up with the electrics, so thought I'd take a quick look at the brakes, and promptly put all the parts back in the box.
The alternator's seen better days.
It's probably a good thing that she is attached to it, so you don't end up owning it. How festered are those caliper bores? I have to pull some apart that have been sitting for over 35 yrs and not looking forward to it. Have you figured out yet why your son helped you out without moaning or money? He wants a tattoo? Has a letter from the headmaster? I'd be concerned if I were you.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the calipers is shot. The bores/pistons on the other 2 look fine, but will need new seals, pins, pads, and bleed nipples.
I'm guessing that the master cylinders are going to need attention too.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't say that this is going particularly well.
Spent the last couple of weeks trying to sort out the wiring. Replaced quite a few connections on the the loom, the rest of it cleaned up okay.
Managed to get hold of a NOS alternator sub loom for reasonable money, also had to get new coils, diode board, regulator which cost a few quid.
Thought I'd taken a step forward until this morning when I went to fit new base/head gaskets. One of the pistons, and bores look well shagged, which won't be a cheap fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
V50s are great little bikes, but can have "issues" as you see. I bailed out on my first one, loosing $3,000 when I sold it non running(it went to shop running but not well).

BUT, a year later I bought another, this time a III, ran great but now needs a new ignition switch. I still like it better than my V7 Stone IIz

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is there a budget for this, and how many times its worth are they willing to spend?
I've tried to talk the owner out of going ahead with this a few times, but seems determined to carry on.
I dread to think how much it's going to cost. If there's no other major issues my guess would be £2500-£3000.
My advice to her was sell the Guzzi for parts, and buy a decent Monster, save some money, and have a more reliable/safer bike.
When I agreed to take the project on I was under the impression that it was pretty much a matter of bolting a few bits back together....Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately the bores are chrome, so one is going to need replating.
There's a couple of companies over here that can do the job for about £130+vat and p&p, with the added the cost of a new piston and rings it's not going to be cheap.
She's already paying installments btw.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's been a bit nippy in the shed today.
One of the cylinders got sent off for replating last week so while waiting for that thought I'd have another go at cleaning the engine.
This time fine scotchbrite mops seem to be doing an okay job.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 91 Posts