Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Looking good!

Those little scotchbrite pads work nicely.

Seems like mother nature forgot that we live in San Diego. The low was 31 degrees last night. What are we in.... Antarctica?

20180227_092926.jpg

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Had to wait 3 weeks to get the left hand cylinder back from Lancourts the chrome looks good, also managed to borrow a friends shot blast cabinet to clean up the heads/ cylinders.
Found another issue when I went to fit the cylinders yesterday. A small bush is missing so if I can't get a used one from the UK I'll have to order new from the US.
Carbs should cllean up ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Put the left hand cylinder back together, and done a cold compression test yesterday. The result was 125 psi for the right, and 120 for the left.
Started up this morning, no nasty noises,or smoke, so I've got to be happy with that.
Carbs will need setting up, and one of the choke cables seems to be sticking which doesn't help.
Stainless silencers have a few dents, but polished up okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Put the left hand cylinder back together, and done a cold compression test yesterday. The result was 125 psi for the right, and 120 for the left.
Started up this morning, no nasty noises,or smoke, so I've got to be happy with that.
Carbs will need setting up, and one of the choke cables seems to be sticking which doesn't help.
Stainless silencers have a few dents, but polished up okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Cocked up fitting the carb sliders, the bike certainly runs a bit better now they're the right way round.
The linked brakes have been messed with so will need sorting, just ordered £250 worth of parts, hope it all works out ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When I fitted the airfilter housing last week the rear rubber section was badly cracked, so had a go at repairing it with silicon and duct tape, but it was never going to be a long term fix.
Luckily found a new one for sale in Holland. Ordered it Sunday night and turned up Thursday morning.
Wasn't exactly cheap though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's been a busy, and very expensive few days.
Bought new brake parts, fork seals, steering head bearing mod, right hand switch gear, amongst other stuff.
Decided to go with some bling for the fork yokes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've found that depending on the rubber part.....some of the costs of these little parts are high. But when you need them you need them.

It's coming along nicely!

·
Registered
782 Posts
i don't think i ever had to do steering head bearings in one of them. they're individual balls originally aren't they? i hate that.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
i don't think i ever had to do steering head bearings in one of them. they're individual balls originally aren't they? i hate that.
Yep. Most of the original bearings are either missing or shot to bits, also 2 of the racers have gone walkies, and are no longer available.
So the taper conversion seemed the best way to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Today started off quite well. Fitted the steering head bearings, and sorted one of the front forks.
Then it all went tits up. With the bearing conversion installed the steering stem is 10mm too short.... Bugger.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Today started off quite well. Fitted the steering head bearings, and sorted one of the front forks.
Then it all went tits up. With the bearing conversion installed the steering stem is 10mm too short.... Bugger.
those tapered cup adapters look like they may be plenty long to turn some off so they sit deeper into the headstock

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
those tapered cup adapters look like they may be plenty long to turn some off so they sit deeper into the headstock
Cheers XB, I went down a slightly different route.
Shaved 5mm off the bearing adjuster nut, and gained another 2mm by using a friends press to get the bottom bearing fully home.
So as far as I know alls good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Fitting 40 year old cush drive rubbers proved to be a mission, then spent the best part of an hour swearing while trying to get the rear wheel on.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 91 Posts