Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Are they linked brakes? The mechanic that showed me how to use a syringe many years ago said it was the only way he could get Guzzi linked brakes bled.
They were linked brakes originally. but delinked years ago.
The front brake now has a seperate conventional master cylinder.
The rear was still using the original reservoir which was mounted under the tank, alhough I'm only guessing as all the parts were in a box.
I thought it would be a good idea to mount a small reervoir much nearer the master cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
There is the method of pumping fluid in through the bleeder nipple. Should force air out the opposite direction
I tried reverse bleeding for the first time this morning. The fluid pushed up to the master cylinder easily enough, but wouldn't go any further.
So removed the master cylinder again to see if get fluid through from the reservoir end using a syringe.
Ended up forcing the piston out completely shagging the crush washer, so had to order another rebuild kit. This is really getting on my tits now.
Up to now I've always used a vacuum pump, which hasn't let me down until now

Attachments

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Honestly though, you should take care of that troll problem in your waters first... that shit can really get out of hand

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
try it with the lever removed, so the piston is fully retracted. are the little fluid holes in the master clear?
Spot on. Disconnected the linkage, and got the fluid through straight away.....Ta.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Always dread taking a project out for the first time incase anything falls off.
Passed the MOT, and seems to be running well enough except the front discs could do with skimming.
The owner called over the day after. When I tried starting the bike for her it was only running on 1 cylinder, which was a bit embarassing.
After checking the coils, and ignition triggers, the problem was down to a dodgy 4 pin connector.
Hopefully I'll get that sorted tomorrow, and get out for another test ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I hate the paranoia that something is vibrating loose. That went away when I got a bike that was drilled for safety wire. The peace of mind is amazing

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Took the Guzzi out for another test ride this morning.
When I got the bike back in the shed noticed the oil light was on at idle. Went out when I blipped the throttle.
After looking on a few Guzzi forums it seems a not uncommon problem in hot weather.
Might try try changing the oil for an Ester based 10w60.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The owner bought the Guzzi back to have a new speedo cable fitted.
While it was back in the shed adjusted the steering head bearings, torqued the heads, and changed the oil with Motul 7100 10w/60.
Took it out for a 10 mile ride, then left it idleing for a few minutes, no oil light at idle.
Can't say for sure if that's sorted the oil light issue, but fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
My V50 had a constant issue with the oil light coming on below 3 grand. ended up being the sending unit. Common issue with them.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
My V50 had a constant issue with the oil light coming on below 3 grand. ended up being the sending unit. Common issue with them.
Thanks.
I replaced the oil pressure switch with a new one a few months ago, so had pretty much ruled that out.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts