Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mostly for HackA, but anybody else, jump on it. Years ago, late 70's, I saw a street bike in a magazine that was at Daytona that year. It was a H-D 45 flathead in a frame that was a double front downtube frame. It had Ceriani looking forks with Morris magnesium wheels and a quarter fairing. I have always wanted something like it since. I don't know anything at all about 45 flatheads except I think they are really cool.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
sounds similar to my 45 in a fbed

it was shot by Vibes Magazine (out of Japan) a few years back

had a stroker 45 magnum engine in it at the time but had been a flatty most of the time

came to life back in the late 80's

42mm RF900 forks

12 spoke American Racing Wheels (magnesium feather weights)

two mark II amals on an S&S individual runner intake

fixed timing magneto

commando tranny and clutch

home made belt drive and other retardation

I still have it but now it's flatty again and is force fed

I removed the tank for a HD gearhead today, removed the heads, and he looked and just said

the GD word, and the MF word, and didn't say another word about it being for sale

however, you should get one

they are just about anvil reliable, smooth as silk since you have to make them nearly useless to get over 1HP/CID

and they are actually simpler than a two cylinder briggs SV engine

here is the magnum engine coming apart

tight squeeze

it's a hemi, dude

how scary is that?

I don't know what I did with the picture of the rods but they are a work of art in my opinion

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
sounds similar to my 45 in a fbed

it was shot by Vibes Magazine (out of Japan) a few years back

had a stroker 45 magnum engine in it at the time but had been a flatty most of the time

came to life back in the late 80's

42mm RF900 forks

12 spoke American Racing Wheels (magnesium feather weights)

two mark II amals on an S&S individual runner intake

fixed timing magneto

commando tranny and clutch

home made belt drive and other retardation

I still have it but now it's flatty again and is force fed

I removed the tank for a HD gearhead today, removed the heads, and he looked and just said

the GD word, and the MF word, and didn't say another word about it being for sale

however, you should get one

they are just about anvil reliable, smooth as silk since you have to make them nearly useless to get over 1HP/CID

and they are actually simpler than a two cylinder briggs SV engine

here is the magnum engine coming apart

tight squeeze

it's a hemi, dude

how scary is that?

I don't know what I did with the picture of the rods but they are a work of art in my opinion

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HackA, Were all the 45s, except the KH and KR, non-unit construction? I seem to think the picture I saw was unit construction. How hard and how expensive is it to find a 45? Unit vs. non-unit? From your picture and the one I remember, it could have been a Featherbed frame.

Ken

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HackA, Were all the 45s, except the KH and KR, non-unit construction? I seem to think the picture I saw was unit construction. How hard and how expensive is it to find a 45? Unit vs. non-unit? From your picture and the one I remember, it could have been a Featherbed frame.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
used to be they were cheap but now the parts have exceeded the whole by the most spectacularly bizzare rate I've ever seen

the K's (the unit ones that some people still call a sportster) had much better topends and cams

but the huge flaw the early ones had was that servicing the transmission required a case split, the later ones fixed this problem using a trap door making the gearbox something like a cassette

their heads however, are quite prone to cracking and it is very difficult to find uncracked heads

sadly, the same is true for the cylinders which are not available in new repop

new cylinders and heads can be had for the W and G series (preunit) 45's

this isn't made any easier for the K by the fact that very few motorcycle people seem to find zyglo and magnaflux a necessary part of pre-sale or even pre-use inspection procedures

lil flatty botton with the OHV top and biggun

big flatty stuff

oil pumps and some valve train stuff the same for big ones and little ones

misery loves company.... hard to get much more miserble than one of these linkerts

very rare top ends, guess how they looked on a set of 45 cases?

many other OHV tops easier to do though

big flatty

three speed reverse electric start

the plain three speed is pretty much the same transmission, a few parts are different but you can covert either to the other

and good place for a reverse estart tranny

no comment about the frame but I didn't make it

seems like you can, if you are careful

get a buildable 45 engine for 800 or less

it should have all numbers in order and hopefully good paper

but I advise against paying large for most I see offered on ebay

I've never got an answer back from one single seller, even those I've phoned

telling me anything had been crack tested and I gather that as long as they don't know something is bad, it's assumed good and it would seem most that buy feel the same way too

I guess until they have to go tracking down uncracked stuff

you also see ferrous metal internals that have bead blasted into trash

but only because when things like cams/gears are rusted so bad they need blasting

they were already trash even if blasting them makes them look pretty in 300X400 pix

so best if you can find one that is either a known good runner or one scattered and cleaned for inspection

less than 20 years ago I bought better servicars than the black one for under 700 bucks, running and ready to ride

amzing though that the whole runners still are soft on the market, their use in stock form is very limited, but for all the years HD offered the servicar

it was the most expensive motorcycle in their line up

the K's are neat, I like the 900cc KH models

and I'd puke if I had to live with an early one

not so bad if you merely use them for rectal jewelry or living room art

but I like to beat them hard

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
oh and here is a picture of a OEM and then repop cylinder for a W or G

if you ever get into to one and would like to see all the differences

just whistle

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They all look cool, but a little too much for me to tackle, I think. If I go that route, ever, I will have you put together a runner engine and then I'll fit it to a frame. Thanks for all the pics. I really need to get by and see your place. I may be driving down to Atlanta sometime this summer to see family and maybe fit in a race or two and could swing by.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
that sounds great, you are certainly welcome here

I've been known to have a few off beat lumps laying about in various corners and some of the strangest stuff does manage to end up at my doorstep

Have a really fine 28 Ardie with a 550 cc JAP twin port flatty single in one of the bed rooms

parts for it seem to be on intergalatic back order from uranus so everything for it has to be made

1 - 9 of 9 Posts