·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I see some potential.

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
I see some potential.
potential to spend some money. Kawi triple parts ain't cheap. Doing a proper engine rebuild with a crank rebuild and lab seals will probably cost you $2K. I wish I knew what year it was because 1973 and 1976 are two sought after years due to one year only quirks (1973 h1 uses h2 electrics, 1976 has extra bracing on the frame from the factory).

Drum brake models were 1969-1971 and use 34mm forks. Disc brake bikes were 36mm forks and were from 1972-1976. that's not even an h1 front drum off an earlier bike so this thing probably had a front ender at some point in it's life.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
potential to spend some money.
Isn't that most resto projects to some degree though? I would imagine that yes these parts might be a little harder to come by if the goal was to keep it as original as possible, but I am sure there has to be some aftermarket stuff that would work, right? Or is this one of those bikes that nothing else seems to fit with it and work properly

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
Isn't that most resto projects to some degree though? I would imagine that yes these parts might be a little harder to come by if the goal was to keep it as original as possible, but I am sure there has to be some aftermarket stuff that would work, right? Or is this one of those bikes that nothing else seems to fit with it and work properly
It is but the kawasaki triples have the distinction of being one of the few Japanese bikes that are collectible. Which, means they usually have the high buy in price like a brit bike and the high parts cost like a japanese bike. there is a fantastic aftermarket for kawi triples but it all costs, there is no "cheap" aftermarket. The upside is that unlike most Japanese bikes the bike isn't completely worthless when you are done.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It is but the kawasaki triples have the distinction of being one of the few Japanese bikes that are collectible. Which, means they usually have the high buy in price like a brit bike and the high parts cost like a japanese bike. there is a fantastic aftermarket for kawi triples but it all costs, there is no "cheap" aftermarket. The upside is that unlike most Japanese bikes the bike isn't completely worthless when you are done.
That makes sense. So its a toss up on weather the build is worth doing or not. Just depends on what the bike is worth to the owner. For instance, a V45 Magna is worth more to me than the the average rider, simply because that was my first bike and I have an emotional attachment to it. I would be less likely to point out every flaw to dicker down the selling price, because I would be to busy reliving my youth lol

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
Well the other issue is some models are worth more than others but there are shared parts.

a 1969 h1? $10K plus all day long in restored shape

a 1976 KH500? - $5K would probably find you the best one:

but the parts cost for service items are the same.

Add in the fact that the English and the Japanese went crazy for these bikes and the H2 750s (the H1 is a 500) is a $20K bike restored if you are willing to ship to england or japan. The custom culture there is huge so it's not rare to see people dump buckets of money into them:

that's what happens when your reputation is "the widow-maker".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts