Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 7" H4 replacement headlight off ebay for my 1980 Honda 400...anyway, it came and I noticed there is actually two bulbs in the light fixture: There is the main clear bulb in the center and then one mounted at an angle below it with a yellow tint to it. I have no idea what this could be since the stock headlight has nothing like this. The bulb has two wires running out of the back of the bucket. Obviously I have no idea where these would go either...

Any help is most appreciated!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.....so do you run it all the time on the lowbeam? Hook it up to the indicators? (How would you do that anyway, with just the two leads coming out from the yellow bulb?)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I didn't kow that UJM's had low wattage parking lights

I do tend to use Bosch, Hella, or Lucas reflectors that have provisions for them on machines that have only adequate charging for daytime running

and run the parking light in the daytime to comply with this state's 24-7 lights on at all time laws

if the one in question uses a single filament bulb

one is B+ and the other is ground

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've only got one beam. I think I hooked it up so it's the low beam. Then when I switch to high, I'm in stealthmode...the light turns off. I don't even have the small bulb wired up. Mine is a total hackjob as like I said it was originally a 7" foglight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for the replies fellas. So, this light has one central bulb for the high AND low. These run off the standard 3 prong receptacle. Then there is this extra yellow light. It doesn't really make sense to me as a daytime running-light, since my lowbeam is on any time the bike is on. So the lowbeam is always the running-light anyway. The only useful purpose I can think of is maybe to somehow run the leads off the turn signals, which would add some punch to my turn signal visibility at night...I am a total bike newb and this is my first bike, does anyone have any idea how I could hook up these two leads so that the yellow bulb will turn on and off with the turn signals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I ended up installing it without using the city light at all. The bulb seemed pretty dim and not worth trying to integrate into the rest of the lighting. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the extra yellow light is a parking light

and like I eluded to....... I have been known to run a 7 watt bulb for daytime running just to keep my battery charged and johnny law away

1 - 8 of 8 Posts