Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and cush drive........

spoke count not really important

anyone know of anything that fits the Rx ?

I'd probably even consider a 190mm if it looked remotely viable to open it up half way and maybe thin my shoes to marry them

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cb450 maybe....... anyone know what years cb450's had 200mm drums on the rear

and I'm thinking all of them were cush

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
cb77 I think has got to be pretty close to 200mm. It's every bit as big as the front drum and the front is 200mm. I can't find any listing of the size of the rear.

Craig

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok that's the size of the 450's front

still digging

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the CB77 is 200mm for sure....... what I don't know is if it's cush drive

I'm going to beat it severely and subject it to over three times the torque it ever experienced with a 305 hooked up to it

thanks Craig

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'm all but positive the CB77 (and some CL77) used 200mm front (for sure) and 200mm rear (with cush).
The CB450 used a 200mm front, but I think a 180mm rear.

The CB77/CB160 series of bikes used the same size front and rear drums. So that would make a CB77 rear 200mm.

Somewhere, somehow...I recently came across pictorial discriptions of I think ALL Vesrah brake shoes, with measurements....many many pages of them...can't find the file, or the link right now.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I gave a 160 to a local friend of mine about a year ago

it's still lying where I tossed it and is stinkier and deader today

going to go look at it right now

I'll even take my camera and come back with some pix

thanks

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok went there feeling silly thinking no way a 160 would have the same size brakes that the superhawk does

it doesn't but I snagged some pix of the 160

somebody told me it was a rare one....... like slightly larger and only made a year or two

I dunno but it has tiny hubs

other cool old junk there too

too small on this one too

cool spool

all cafe racer stuff, ya dig?

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
HackASaw - what about a 72 GT750 or 550? Spoked, cush drive, dunno the size though. Probably pretty hefty on the 750.

·
Registered
569 Posts
some neat stuff laying around there..

that ca95 is a 150, small rear brake, not sure of the size

cb/cl160 is 180 mm single leading shoe rear

cb72/77 is 200 mm double leading shoe rear

dch.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
smaller in diameter (180mm) but much wider than the lil hondas of larger diameter

I have one of those now powdered and laced with stainless spokes

would love to have a DLS backing plate to marry to it without having to weld up and machine another from a front

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I didn't mean to imply the 160 and the CB77 had the same size drums....I meant that series of bikes used the same front and rear size drums....meaning 180mm front and rear for the 160's and 200mm front and rear for the CB/CL77.
About 30mm wide for the CB/CL77 drums. But LONG shoes with lots of contact if braking power is an issue.
I think around 69 Honda went to a smaller rear drum for all their bikes when compared to the fronts.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know that and realized that only after I snagged my camera and was on my way to Desolation Station

at first I read what you wrote and even though I realized what you meant....... I was enjoying my delusion thinking my problem would be solved just that easy!

When I take a trip today to Honda Hades........

I'll be sure and take my camera there

My friend has TONS of old Vintage Japanese stuff and I am pretty sure he has the hub I need

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I've lost my mind

I have nice wheels laced and here I go actually considering buying a pair of these and building new wheels

a 250mm

and a 210 rear

well where can I get bigger ones?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and what's up with the turd brown color? that would have to go

don't even think I could abide by the golden color either

has anyone ever bought or fooled with any of these?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Those look like the hugely expensive fontana replicas? With Magnesium backing plates. Beautiful things (not the colors...the design :)

Off the top of my head I can recall any DLS 180mm rears at all. The CB/CL77 might have a 200mm DLS rear as someone previously mentioned but I haven't had enough in my hands to say for sure.

On Hondas nothing after 69 will have a DLS rear for sure.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went and grabbed a CB350 front and will marry it to the hub I have. It won't take much machine work. He also has a CL77 with a back wheel and is going to blue wrench it off for me. I think what I really need is to be found on some Italian bike. I snapped a few pix of a few things there.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
didn't even begin to snap pix of much but there were some toys lying around

this one is for sale he said........

I don't know what all goes with it but he's good people and has a ton of vintage Japanese bits as well as bikes

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hack,
It's not really within my realm of knowledge to modify shoes other than having them relined with race compound and arc'ing them to fit drums.
The CB350 (front) shoes are 1.4" wide, the GT750 (front) shoes are 1" wide.

As for strengthening the plate...really shouldn't be necessary...the hub maybe yes, but the backing plate isn't going to see any forces it shouldn't be able to handle. Since the backing plate doesn't see any of the bike weight, or drive torque, just the braking forces (which would be determined by the shoe size) it shouldn't be under any more stress than it would be on a stock bike....with the exception of extra heat developed stopping a larger bike. Modern compound shoes like Fedora should handle that.

Actually I'm still not real clear on what you are doing as far as matching things up, or the end purpose of the wheels. I've just been looking at all the cool pictures :)
JohnnyB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts