Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, all those years of laughing at the H-D dudes, when they say, "Yeah, sometimes ya just gotta lay it down." Nope, never happen to me, I said.

I was wrong.

So, there I was, riding the '78 SR500 I'd picked up a while back, but had been sitting while I worked on a couple of other bikes. . .and then, all at once, I figured out that the oil seepage on the bottom of the engine was coming from around the sump cover! Oh nooooo! Some ham-fisted idiot had stripped one of the screws!

I made it as painless for the poor thing as I could and put a blanket on some old tires, then laid her down oh-so-gently and helicoiled the crankcase. . .had to take the right engine cover off and do the oil filter cover screws as well. . .ah, vintage bikes, it's the all-day-oil-change syndrome.

Oh, they meant lay it down in the road. . ?!?!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i was expecting some story about running from the police, and the road rash that you had from having to make a quik decision and laying it down...and then some nasty scabby pictures.
i guess this is better then that, but a little more boring to read at work.
i like how you made it painless for that ol' girl. Mine aren't that lucky.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
A few weeks back, some guy hit a moose on I-90 Extension here in Albany, NY. The reporter said the guy, "Just had to lay it down to avoid the moose." Witness said the moose was standing in the hwy. and was not hit. So, didn't this guy see the moose standing in the hwy. Couldn't he have used his brake? or ride around it? It wasn't like the thing jumped up in front of him! And the reporter, trying to act cool.."He had to lay it down!" Give me a break...no brake...no...oh forget it. At least no moose was hurt in the posting of this thread.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Yesterday coming home from Mosport got stuck in a two hour parking lot on the 401. Finally made it to the front of the jam and see a big cruiser motorcycle on it's side in the middle of the right lane with a 30ft. long black skid that ended at the rear tire. And crunched up front forks. I'm guessing that guy didn't even think to lay it down. Just stomped on the rear brake.

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
well, it WILL stop you sooner or later, in some fashion. 30 feet at highway speed, lucky to have gotten on the brake at all!

jc

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
quote:I'm guessing that guy didn't even think to lay it down. Just stomped on the rear brake.
i think the FRONT brake might have been a better play.
i don't think "laying it down" is a solution to any problem except perhaps fixing stripped bolts during an all day oil change.
-parks

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
man, i was just hoping you had some Rev'it! riding gear on before you "laid it down."

a shameless plug, but a plug all the same.

texy

·
Registered
30 Posts
First day i had my rev'it gloves, my front tire blew out on me in the middle of a turn. I thought man, im glad tex talked me into these gloves, i feel safer now. Luckily i was able to keep it on two wheels and stopped. I still love those gloves though, even if i havent tested them yet. (another plug for ya tex)
brew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts