Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I am getting classic insurance for three of my bikes (t500, and 2 cb750s). Their inital quote for classic insurance was $297 per year for all three (limited use - 3000 miles per year on each one). They just called me and after reviewing my policy they dropped my ins rate to $190 per year for all three (not $190 each, $190 covers all three). they also called and told me that they felt two of my bikes were undervalued and kicked up the agreed value limits by $1500.

I am so stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they can get me my insurance cards by three today (they said they can) I can register all bikes today!!!!!!!holy fuck I am stoked!!!!!!!!

how do I get that pesky ! unstuck?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That does kick ass. How old does a bike have to be to qualify with them???????

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
I had a buddy who insured his car through them. One incident, and youre dropped.

So they raised the value of your bikes, but lowered your premium?

Did they come out to look at the bikes? When we did the bug, we had to get an appraisal on it for them to carry the cost. So make sure they do that.

190 i pretty damned cheap. I remember calling them when i was about 20 to have the fast back insured. I seem to remember a bunch of laughing on the other end, then the guy shouting "hey eddie, this kid wants us to insure his big block fast back....what do you think??!!"

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To qualify with Hagerty the vehicle has to be made 1987 or before.

I have full coverage for all three bikes under one policy. I do have to have a regular use motorcycle to qualify for the classic rates but fortunately the ducati qualifies. Actually I asked them about insuring my ducati and they are going to give me a quote.

As far as the value - they way the explained it they don;t require a formal appraisal if the vehicle value is under $15,000. I had to get one for the GTO last year and it was kind of a pain but hagerty swept the three bikes right through. I am an extremely honest man but they have actually given me an incentive to bump off these bikes prematurely.

The 1978 streetfighter honda with the dunstall parts they insured for an agreed total loss value of $6500. The T500 they insured for a total loss value of $2500, and the 1973 cb750 (that I was trying to sell earlier this year for about $1500) they insured for $3500 total loss value. I had inputed numbers much lower on all the vehicles when doing the application and they bumped the value up AFTER seeing photos.

as far as being dropped after a claim I ahve heard mixed things. I have heard from a lot of people that hagerty dropped them after their claims, but my buddy wrecked his 1965 impala (slid off the road into a pole at night on a weekend) back in 2006 and I sold him my 1967 tempest as a replacement. Hagerty came out, paid for the agreed value of the impala and wrote him a policy for the tempest. So it goes either way. As long as you were using the car within the policy limits they don't seem like they will give you too much trouble.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You guys should try GEICO. Their site offers online quotes. Best in the industry. I am a little biased though so dont believe me, i wrote alot of the application.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NY'ers have had really bad expirences with geico. They have been jacking around the rates for some years now. Dairyland was $350 cheaper per year than geico when I was looking to do my Ducati.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Geico (liability only)

1988 BMW K75S - $90.00

1974 Honda CB350 - $53.00

1988 Honda Civic - $126.00

1988 Saab 9000S - $182.00

1978 Saab 99 - $126.00

1989 Chevy G20 - $126.00

I'll check Hagerty because I also need to insure:

1966 Yamaha YL1

1967 Honda CB160

1973 Honda CB175

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use Dairyland for my bikes. $54 a year for my 73 Triumph Bonnieville and $47 a year for my KZ1000, both liability only. I really should get full coverage

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have allstate and I got a quote last year for two bikes. It was like in the 120 range. One thing I though was funny was you can purchase different rates for a rider based on payout amounts. So if your riding with an ugly - do you get the cheaper rate or do you purchase a higher rate for a better looking women on the back...

I'm so confused....

·
Registered
104 Posts
God I can't wait till I'm 25 or hit the "married" mark again on insurance :(

I pay about $170 a month for my 1999 ZX2, 1999 Ducati 900SS and 2005 Ninja 250 altogether.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I think I pay $217 a year each, for my Thunderbird and cb360. The Lovely Sue Pays the bill, so I can't say for sure. Progressive, perhaps. It sounds like I should do some shopping around.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
or maryland. when i moved from the burbs 25 miles from work, to the new house 11 miles from work, my insurance increased by about 75%. even though the distance i was riding was cut in half! and we are in one of the nicest neighborhoods in town. liability only. i dont get it. i have prgressive for the bike, and statefarm for the truck.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
thats funny, when i called them about the fast back, that was about 1987!

j

1 - 17 of 17 Posts