Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!
New to the forum but thought I would reach out for some advice. I have a custom hagon 500 Road race bike I got from my dad (ex works rider)
Whilst it is no cafe racer, it is a completely bare aluminium monocoque frame/tank... Well, everything apart from the fairing!
Being popular within cafe racers I wondered if anyone had good advice on restoration techniques / products to bring it up to a great finish... And keep it that way!
Many thanks in advance :)
IMG_20200501_154258.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Now thats a proper motorcycle!
Can't be certain from the pic but thats a Honda RFVC motor rather than a Yamaha?
There was one for sale at Kempton last year, I took lots of pics and then accidentally deleted them so would appreciate some of yours....
My interest being I make frames for those Honda motors....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers... and It is indeed! :) I believe it is the 600 RFVC either sleeved or stroked (not sure which) to a 500. The bike actually has no miles (<50) on it, so I'm hoping to bring the motor back to life with minimal work.
I was speaking to hagon last week and they only made 3 or 4 dozen of these, and this particular variant just 2...and they have the other one.
Once it is up together I will upload all the pics, no worries :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, have seen the one in their showroom, the one I saw at Kempton was unfaired and had an XL500 motor. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but I build quite a few of those engines and wonder if you're aware of the oil circulation problems you sometimes get with them...especially after a long lay up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am aware of it, yes (or at least my dad was). Whether it affects this one (was brand new in 85, 600 RFVC) or what to do about it... That's another matter! I am an electronics/software engineer and I am limited to having done just a few 2 stroke (LC's) rebuilds many moons ago,, certainly no expert :)
Do you have any suggestions on it? Cheers (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, do you recon / rebuild XL's just for your own projects... Or as a service :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The cam/follower arrangement on these engines is fairly complex and good oil flow is essential....the problem is that after a long lay up there'll be air in the lines etc and the pump will tend to cavitate, quite possible that after start up it will take a minute or more for oil to get to the head.....not good!
There are various ways to make sure that doesn't happen ....I loosen the top banjo bolt on the external oil line to the head.....lightly pressurise the oil tank with a pump, spin the engine over with the plug out....until oil comes out of the banjo....usually all over fresh paint!
Bottom line is don't try to start it until you know there is oil flowing to the head!!
As for rebuilds I do sometimes get talked into it....I recently finished a GB400 to 650 conversion for a customer....but I've now got to the stage where I've used up all my useful parts and now have several shelves full of bits that nobody needs....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is really great information, much appreciated. I will definitely follow that process 👍 I finished the bike strip down yesterday - the engine has definitely done next to nothing, the oil came out like new and shiny ports. I'm amazed at the condition of everything tbh; 3 decades sat in the garage and nothing is seized, all seals etc look good, forks are smooth. I know if I did the same to my '16 zx6r the same would definitely not be true!

·
Registered
20 Posts
That bike looks amazing, just a quick clean and wipe down, no damn bead blasting!!! Might do a light polish on the alloy and finish it with diesel/paraffine to keep the luster longer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers!! After much discussion that is exactly what is going to be done Dr.blom :) P2500 followed by G3 / G10 compounds.... Then like you say, just polish and parrifin (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts