Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted a new 180/55 Dunlop Qualifier on my RC wheel by hand. Took all of five minutes. Getting the old 190/50 off took about 20 min.
Does this make me a hero to anyone?

It was WAY WAY easier than mounting or dismounting the little Dunlop KR825 race tires....freakin WAY.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
I just mounted a new 180/55 Dunlop Qualifier on my RC wheel by hand. Took all of five minutes. Getting the old 190/50 off took about 20 min.
Does this make me a hero to anyone?

It was WAY WAY easier than mounting or dismounting the little Dunlop KR825 race tires....freakin WAY.
JohnnyB
of course it is easy to hand mount a tubless tire....I would be more impressed if you hand mounted one of your cb tires in 20 minutes with tube.

Ferris Bueller you're my hero!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Takes me 30 minutes to change a tubed race tire track side...and that includes wheel removal....ok I had some help.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Interesting. I've never tried to mount a tubeless m/c tire. I just figured even if I did get it mounted, I wouldn't be able to balance it. I don't have to worry about balancing the dirt track or motocross tires...

FR

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most modern bike riders just assume these big ass tubeless tires are difficult to mount. Doesn't seem to be the case.
The Dunlop KR825s are about the most difficult tire I have ever mounted...and I have four of them on race bikes. When you are doing the job it's very easy to doubt that they will fit. Of course the KR825 is a tubeless tire being mounted with an inner tube on a spoke rim. I'm thinking it would mount easier on a more modern rim for which it was designed.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Most modern bike riders just assume these big ass tubeless tires are difficult to mount. Doesn't seem to be the case.
The Dunlop KR825s are about the most difficult tire I have ever mounted...and I have four of them on race bikes. When you are doing the job it's very easy to doubt that they will fit. Of course the KR825 is a tubeless tire being mounted with an inner tube on a spoke rim. I'm thinking it would mount easier on a more modern rim for which it was designed.
JohnnyB
The toughest tire I ever mounted was a tubless narrow avon super venom on a cb750 spoke rim with tube. The tubless tires don't have as much give as the tubed tires so working them over into the bead is kinda tough. I would imagine the larger the tire the more flexible it is and the easier to get it on the rim.

We did my buddy's R1 rear tire on the tire machine at the subaru dealership he worked at - took 30 seconds to remove and replace the rubber.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealerships get about $50 to remove and mount a modern bike tire....that's IF you bring them the rim off the bike. Freakin stupid expensive.
I've bent tire tools several times mounting the little Dunlops on vintage rims...as is usual the key is patience and going a little at a time.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Dealerships get about $50 to remove and mount a modern bike tire....that's IF you bring them the rim off the bike. Freakin stupid expensive.
I've bent tire tools several times mounting the little Dunlops on vintage rims...as is usual the key is patience and going a little at a time.
JohnnyB
$50 bucks is freaking expensive??!!!!??!?! - Round here dealers charge you an hour (yes 1 hour) at their shop labor rate for tire replacement (removing the wheel from the bike, removing the tire, etc) not counting the tire, valve stem, and tube if you need it. Shop labor rates are anywhere in the neighborhood of $70-$95 per hour (there is even one shop in brooklyn that charges $110 an hour). I have a buddy who does them by hand and he charges me $50 and I gladly pay it.

These days I will onyl do the tubless tires by hand - I have had a streak of tearing the tube when installing tires so I have pretty much given up on that.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i used to be able to slam the tubless tire onto the rim while it was chocked in the machine. of course i was only able to do it after a year of changing about 30-50 tires a day.

i rock!

tex

"bitches!"

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congratulations on your tire mounting. I never even attempted to mount my own tires, I figured it would not be easy, I guess It is doable.

One question though , if you have painted your wheels , is it unavoidable to scratch the paint?? or is there any plastic tools...how is shops avoid messing up nice wheels???

Cafe racer DOHC CB750F

http://cardomain.com/id/jaimesix

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Congratulations on your tire mounting. I never even attempted to mount my own tires, I figured it would not be easy, I guess It is doable.

One question though , if you have painted your wheels , is it unavoidable to scratch the paint?? or is there any plastic tools...how is shops avoid messing up nice wheels???

Cafe racer DOHC CB750F

http://cardomain.com/id/jaimesix
if you go slow and the paint was applied properly (ie not a rattle can job) you can do it without scratching the paint. I used to have a set of irons that had rubber tool grip coating on them (that slick glossy coating on handles). Grease them down with WD40 and they could do any rim.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Late model rims are usually powdercoated or have some very hard paint. It's rarely necessary to actually pry against the outside of the rim flange where it would show. Usually you'll end up with a small scratch or chip, doesn't really bother me. And the alloy rims on the race bikes have a clearcoat or nothing so it's no biggie there.

I mount the Dunlop race tires with the tube already inside....almost impossible to put it in and get the stem in if one bead is already mounted. Only time I puncture one is when I'm in a hurry.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
paint sucks. powder coat them. we have a tire changer at the bike shop, now, thanks to ross! they have little plasticy rubber things that keep the tires from scuffing. like care changers have. i never change my tires myself. i hate doing it. id rather pay someone else to do it. but now that we have a changer, i think ill give it w whirl. the last ones i did chris talked me into doing. avons on the street bike. they were easy. ive always paid to have the race tires done though. or someone always decides to have a big mouth and say "oh theyre easy, any idiot can do it without poking a hole in the tube" so i usually let them.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like someone would offer to changer YOUR tires...hehe good one.
You'd have to have friends first.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
wow, the same reason you do your own eh??? youre a dork. dont you have motorcycles to crash or something....

changing tires sucks.

shut-up jd. you probably dont even know what were tlaking about anymore its been so long.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe....Stop reliving high school bro, it's not my fault people beat you up and called you dork all the time. Too late to change that now.
Transference is a desease that can be treated...seek help.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
quote:
shut-up jd. you probably dont even know what were tlaking about anymore its been so long.

jc
I was drunk when I read that and it just struck me as being funny. Now that I'm sober and reading it for the second time it's even funnier. Long live Branson and his jokes!

JD

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JD,...next time we see JC let's prank him to death with a tire iron...it'll be cool, we can do a vid.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
You shut up... wait is gotta be your bull.

Joe what are you talking about. Jeremys changed more tyres this year then you've done in your whole life. Plus he told me hes going to put the smack down on your ass next season.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 32 Posts