Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you are all figuring that I am gonna ask the age old question of clubmans or clip ons but not a chance. I am actually going to ask if a set of drag bars would be comfortable with stock foot controls on a Yamaha XS650? Also I wanted to know how difficult it would be to transfer all my controls over to the new bars. This is my first bike so any pointers or help is much appreciated. Also if I am looking to change the grips ant hints on what I should use to help slip them on to the bars? One last question is that on my handle bar clamps there are little plastic covers over the bolts, I was wondering how to remove those covers. Heres a picture for clarification.

·
Registered
118 Posts
changing controls isn't all that hard. They're 2 peices that clamp to the bars, just remove the screws from the bottom and they'll come apart, the throttle grip will come off also once you take apart the right side controls. Just make sure you put it all back together right!

As for the plastic covers on the bolts, just pry them off with a small aka "pocket" screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I run drag bars on my cb750 with stock foot pegs and they work and look great. At 50+ mph I get an air cushion that supports my body off the bike which makes it very comfortable to ride longer distances. Handle bars are pretty much a snap to install. If your wires are internal to the bars, you will have to fish them thru the bars. Some bike hand grip assemblies use a little pin to hold them into position on the bar. If your stock bars have this hole - you will need to ensure your replacement bars have the same holes - If not - you'll have to drill these holes. You can get the exact placement from your original bars.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
most of what has been said is pretty spot on. The only thing I can add to it is that when you are working on an old bike it is always a good idea to clean and repaint whatever little parts you take off. You work on the bike enough and pretty soon there will be a lot of really nice clean parts on it.

In this case I would repaint those bar clamps (use rustoleum sem-gloss or gloss black). I would also take the time to clean the inside of the handlebar controls (be very very very careful as internal bar control wiring is very delicate, use compressed air at about 5 psi and alcohol on a q-tip) and address any corrosion (small wire brush). Additionally I would inspect the wiring for any breaks that need addressing or bad connections. Use some simple green or windex and just give the hard to reach areas of the bike that will now be exposed with the handlebar off a good solid cleaning because who knows when you will be able to do it again.

a lof of people recommend hairspray to get the grips on the bars. What ever you use you don't have to spray the whole bar, just the area where the grip is going to go.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
also, use pb blaster on any philips head screw before you attempt to remove it - japanese screw heads are made out of a metallic butter like substance and strip easier than me the last time I was drunk.

Also now would be a good time to replace any philips head screws you come across with stainless steel allen heads. what I like to do is make a drawing of the control on cardboard and then push the old screws through the cardboard at the exact point on the diagram where they would be in the control. That way you know exactly where everything goes when you put it back together. Most of these screws are going to be fine thread metric in odd lengths so you will likely have to go to a real hardware store or fastner specality store rather than your local home depot or lowes (although I have gotten lucky there with fastners from time to time).

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Dido on Geeto67 comments, love the cardboard tip - makes a lot of good sense.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Use compressed air to get the left grip off the old bar....

FR

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have also heard of using electrical contact cleaner because it evaporates so quickly but still provides pretty good lube for the grips to slide on. Got that trick off of Omar's site.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Contact/brake cleaner is the very absolute best way to remove and reinstall grips. With a long thin phillips screwdriver go in the end of the grip and work it between the grip and the bar. Then slide the little hose of the brake cleaner alongside the screwdriver and give it a couple of squirts With the screwdriver still in place, work the grip around and it will break loose and slide right off. To install a grip, just give a long squirt inside the grip, cover the open end with your hand and shake it around to distribute the solvent, then just slide it into place. in a minute or two all the solvent will have evaporated and the grip will be on. Try this and you will never use anything else again.

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts