Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here (maybe second)..

I plan to fit black "superbike" bars to my 74 CB750, but have a question on the sizing.

Where the bars are clamped down seems to be about 4 3/4" wide on the OE bars, but most of the superbike bars I see listed measure around 4" in the center.

What's y'all experience with this, as I don't want to order some nars, and find they won't have enough width to clamp in using the factory parts.

Thanks!!

dw

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
measure the clamp width itself as that is really the only important area. If the clamp is 4" wide or less then you should be good with the 4" center superbike bars.

personally, I bought my superbike bars off the shelf of the local bike shop without so much as a single measurement and had no problem fitting them. Most 7/8ths bars are setup to clear the wide clamps of most japanese big bore 4s. Interestingly enough, most renthal aluminum dirtbike bars (with the removeable cross brace) are almost the same if slightly lower than superbike bars and are much lighter and cooler (espically since they are anodized). Price may be a litle higher and you should probably match it up in person as some of them are really narrow but my local yamaha/kawasaki dealer always has them in stock and on sale just after new years.

be aware that 90% of the aftermarket bars out there will not be drilled for your cb's stock internal wiring. You will either have to drill the bars or notch the controls (I recommend notching the controls).

As an alternative, you can try finding a set of stock cb400f bars, they are low bars with a bend similar to superbike but slightly narrower with tighter bends, and they will come drilled if you order them from honda.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
just in case you are interested the honda part number is 53100-377-000 for the 400F bars. Hondaparts-direct.com has the bar listed for $66.72 plus shipping which isn't bad considering that you won't have to drill the bar for the wires to run internal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geeto,

Thanks for all the info! I actually ordered some superbike bars tonight, before I saw your reply. The seller verified they'd fit my CB. I planned to just zip-tie the wiring to the bars...hope that's not heresy. What do you mean by "notching" the controls?

Thanks!

dw

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"search" is my friend. I now understand notching the controls.

I've already ordered an aftermarket light/signal/horn/kill control for the clutch side.

I'm now looking at a start/stop control for the brake side.

I'm also wondering if I could run a simple "start" button clamped on the bar, and shut down using the kill button on the other side. This would eliminate the run/off switch, but I'm thinking "that's what the key is for"

Please advise if this is a bad idea...

dw

·
Registered
576 Posts
Renthal also sells street bars for the same price and you don't need to remove the cross brace. I have them on my KZ1000

Gas Right, Clutch Left

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you can run a simple start button to the controls, British cycle supply has some vintage lookng ones that I remember seeing in their catalog.

however even better is to grab an ignition switch from cycle exchange (cyclexchange.net). They have a key switch with a starter built in, like a car ignition switch, which would simplify things.

3/4 of the way down the page:
http://www.cyclexchange.net/Elec System Comp Page.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts