21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Harley makes a decent machine, but I think it's all hyped up

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you don't care for the story or the way it's told, this show is still worth watching on mute to see ancient motorcycles get flogged like they're disposable. I love seeing that kind of stuff actually getting ridden, even if they're just replicas using the old technology.
I'm already jonesing for Barber Vintage next month... I may ride 6 hours on my cb350 just to be there on an oldish bike...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I finished the show last night. Overall looking from a purely entertainment point of view, it was a great show to watch. I really enjoyed it. When they showed the first knucklehead (replica) in its prototype phase, I was drooling, such a beautiful machine, just a seat and a tank, pure, I dug it.

From a historical point of view, I would be curious to know how much was embellished. If one were to take the show as the Gods honest truth, we would believe that Arthur Davidson created the idea of MC's. However their customer loyalty program was a great idea and time has proved that to be true considering they still do that crap today, almost 100 years later.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When they first started there were already others making motorized bicycles and when they started making motorcycles there were around 50 companies making motorcycles. I never knew about the Ford connection to them. Thank God that deal never happened.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
From a historical point of view, I would be curious to know how much was embellished. If one were to take the show as the Gods honest truth, we would believe that Arthur Davidson created the idea of MC's. However their customer loyalty program was a great idea and time has proved that to be true considering they still do that crap today, almost 100 years later.
Assume all of it. It's entertainment and likely approved by the motor company so they are writing the history.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Assume all of it. It's entertainment and likely approved by the motor company so they are writing the history.
I never assume, it makes an ASS out U and ME... sorry couldn't resist.

Anyhoo, yeah I am sure every detail was tweaked. But there was probably some nugget of truth in everything. Harley was a genius and we cannot ignore what they did for and to the American motorcycle industry.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Having skipped right to the end of this thread without reading anyone else's opinions, and having only watched the first episode so far, my opinion is:

-OF COURSE the creators/writers/producers used "artistic license" in every screen not only in dialog, but in story line and props
-It's obvious the bikes are replicas, I don't think I saw a single actual antique bike in the entire episode
-If you look close, you can see there are obviously many non-running prop bikes with parts flopping
-Even for a non-HD motorcycle afficionado, I found it interesting enough to watch, and will watch the other 2 episodes I have recorded
-So far, it hasn't made me appreciate HD any more than the nominal level I reached years ago strictly as another brand of motorcycle
-IN MY OPINION, the macho / badguy personality of the main character and one or two others is probably fictional, and MUST be portrayed to bolster the general consensus, or nobody would watch more than the first eisode
-My guess is that the "MOCO" (a word meaning "booger" in Spanish) is making more from this mini-series than anyone else in the entire enterprise.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hell, just watch it for entertainments sake only and you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Genius timing by Harley. Indian is picking up some steam in the market. This made them look like utter assholes. Also, the Milwaukee Eights are starting to hit dealers now. Local dealer just got a couple in this week.

Well done, Harley.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I watched the whole thing. Pretty entertaining, and nice that the race sequences were real motorcycles and not that computer animated crap that passes for a movie today. Probably somewhat factual with character embellishment for added drama. It beats watching a house flipping show...

·
Registered
33 Posts
When they first started there were already others making motorized bicycles and when they started making motorcycles there were around 50 companies making motorcycles. I never knew about the Ford connection to them. Thank God that deal never happened.
Ford might have been a shade better than AMF....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm glad the Japanese connection didn't pan out further, though many Japanese parts made it onto the later bikes anyways. They ended up just stealing the design anyways back then as they do today.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts