Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
do you work for benji or something? I've noticed you mentioned him before.

Harley cafe racers are not a new idea. the sportster design is in line with all the other 1970s superbikes - in fact some say it was the fastest street bike in 1969. Harley had the xlcr cafe racer model, a bike that was largely shunned at the time but is now a well regarded classic. It also had some wack compression ratio like 11:1 and the coolest header that harley ever put on a sporty.

Meccatwin makes repro bodywork for modern sportsters if you have to have one.

http://www.mecatwin.com/en/motos/hd/xlcr/descriptif.htm

Then there was american cafe racers who were trying to sell a sporty based cafe bike:
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/02/23/american-cafe-racers/

And of course there are the original buells.

because of their flat track heritage however, the sporty frame often gets converted into a street tracker.

Back whe I lived in new orleans there was a guy down there named dumas who was trying to stuff an ironhead sporty into a ducati pantah frame.

The stuff is out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No,I work in the dental field. They are just one of my favorite sites. I Like how they make their tanks. I also know they have "been around". I said I would like to "see some of these around". Particularly in person. Not many people here in Kansas have cafe bikes. Let alone stock inlines. The one person I did find asked me to help him sell his bike!!! And I had to drive 4 freakin hours to get mine after searchin two years for a cb500.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
lance weil stuffed an iron head sporty into a manz featherbed in the 60's.

he built a few replicas years later.

lyta tank, roadholder forks, straight pipes, half fairing......called it the "victory," before victory.

it was pretty sweet. probably cost about $20K to produce.

good luck!

tex

·
Registered
116 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ROSKO

Lance's manx framed 883 is the ultimate harley racer. a jaw dropping beauty. I have photos of Lance racing the bike in 1966, cool as it gets. I can't imagine what one of his replicas would go for now...
Could you post some of the pics?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
if i could find some i would. never felt at the time that i needed to archive my own pics. now it's too late. all the history is with his family. there was a book by mick walker or ian falloon called american roadracing motorcycles that featured lance's 60's racer on the inside cover......probably out of print now as i can't find it.

tex

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
if nothing else, it's one of the cooler harlys i've seen.

however, the VR1000 was a THE cool fuckin' harley.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

if i could find some i would. never felt at the time that i needed to archive my own pics. now it's too late. all the history is with his family. there was a book by mick walker or ian falloon called american roadracing motorcycles that featured lance's 60's racer on the inside cover......probably out of print now as i can't find it.

tex
I may have this book - I'll check when I get home....

Jim

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Scott Jelseshsehsehsehs ( however the hell you spell his name ) the lawyer guy in the USCRA built an old harley engine in some sort of british frame a few years back. Don't know if he still has it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
that does it. every time i swear i'll never own another ironhead i see something like this. the next project is likely going to be an ironhead cafe bike. i've had short choppers and a long ironhead chop, never thought about doing the cafe treatment on one though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Isn't there a Featherbed Harley at Barber Museum? I just checked my pictures and didn't see it but I remember one sitting by a Norvin.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
hmmmmmm

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

I have three featherbed Harleys

one with an 68 XLCH ironhead 883, 4LS front, 2LS rear, shouldered alloys, one off pipes, one off twin port spread bore intake progressively linked, ducati alternator off the end of the crank, open belt primary, and a few other touches

another which started as a plain 45 flathead, then had a stroker 45 magnum, but is now force fed flatty, has 42 mm Rf900 forks, Magnesium 12 spoke american racing wheels, one off belt drive primary

and another started with 72 Kick and Estart, Alloy tank and rump seat, some heavy duty Kraut forks and wheels from the early 50's (the tubes are 42mm and drums are 9") and some other stuff on it too.... it's just kinda mocked up and hasn't gotten much attention in a year or two

I dig the looks of the one originally posted but those tomahawk frames are amazingly heavy and amazingly flimsy

and that particular pipe is pretty miserable to tune if you really like one to run well

much better exhausts out there to be had even for the bolt on crowds

but it does look good

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've had this stuck on my garage wall for years. Love to have one! Lance Weil's Victory.

By weslake at 2007-11-17

1 - 20 of 24 Posts