Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Modified is just that. You are allowed a certain amount of mods to a stock frame. Nothing spectacular. I never saw JDees Buell. So I can't comment on the mods. But they are limited. And Production is just that Production. NO external mods allowed except for removing mirrors and turn signals.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Is it sporty? no. Is it fast? fuck no. Is it good looking? meh. Does it have any quality a seasoned motorcyclist would find attractive? not in the least. Is it perfect for a new rider? absolutley!
for a guy who constantly shits on small bikes I have to ask have you ever ridden one?
My 125cc RD is 10x more exciting. hell my pv50 suzuki was 5x more exciting. I am no motogp superstar and wasn't even thinking of pushing the bike when I tried it yet I scraped the (saggy due to lame frame design) peg in the very 1st turn. It leaks oil, doesn't go anywhere.
Bad bike from a good idea is not a good bike. If low seat height is a bonus I give you that.

Anyway - I really don't think it discredits your broader statements. Just messing.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Is it sporty? no. Is it fast? fuck no. Is it good looking? meh. Does it have any quality a seasoned motorcyclist would find attractive? not in the least. Is it perfect for a new rider? absolutley!
for a guy who constantly shits on small bikes I have to ask have you ever ridden one?
My 125cc RD is 10x more exciting. hell my pv50 suzuki was 5x more exciting. I am no motogp superstar and wasn't even thinking of pushing the bike when I tried it yet I scraped the (saggy due to lame frame design) peg in the very 1st turn. It leaks oil, doesn't go anywhere.
Bad bike from a good idea is not a good bike. If low seat height is a bonus I give you that.

Anyway - I really don't think it discredits your broader statements. Just messing.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
Yeah I rode one. A friend of mine bought a stock one back in 2007 and he let me take it for a spin. OMG was it slow. And boring. and yes in final execution in stock trim it is terrible. and for a 6'5" dude like me it was way too uncomfortable. But unlike a small bike you could take it on the highway without it exploding.

we are all just messing around. you mentioned the blast and I just really wanted an excuse to talk about the blast cuz it is fun.

The only thing that makes it redeemable in my eyes is that it is still half a sportster. Which means it can use all the sporty speed tricks and parts and that there was already a network of places across the country to get parts; and they are cheap. like $500 cheap sometimes. which means sooner or later someone is going to figure out how to start racing them and then the trouble starts and the prices go up...

There aren't that many 500cc produced in the modern age. There is the RE, and the blast, and that's about it. If someone figures out how to build faux goldstars around the engine - look out cooler than thou cafe kids as well.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
Yeah I rode one. A friend of mine bought a stock one back in 2007 and he let me take it for a spin. OMG was it slow. And boring. and yes in final execution in stock trim it is terrible. and for a 6'5" dude like me it was way too uncomfortable. But unlike a small bike you could take it on the highway without it exploding.

we are all just messing around. you mentioned the blast and I just really wanted an excuse to talk about the blast cuz it is fun.

The only thing that makes it redeemable in my eyes is that it is still half a sportster. Which means it can use all the sporty speed tricks and parts and that there was already a network of places across the country to get parts; and they are cheap. like $500 cheap sometimes. which means sooner or later someone is going to figure out how to start racing them and then the trouble starts and the prices go up...

There aren't that many 500cc produced in the modern age. There is the RE, and the blast, and that's about it. If someone figures out how to build faux goldstars around the engine - look out cooler than thou cafe kids as well.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Over last winter Len opened his Buell out to 600cc. Not being a Buell expert (and having been around too long to ask his secrets) I don't know what he did to open it out. But he has the 650 sidecar record at El Mirage at 120. He was supposed to show up at Bonneville this year but for some reason didn't. He has obviously figured out how to make it fly. I opened the Weslake out to 546cc to run in the same class. Funny thing is I had no idea Len was doing the same thing. But the Weslake ran 132 top at Bonneville this year.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Over last winter Len opened his Buell out to 600cc. Not being a Buell expert (and having been around too long to ask his secrets) I don't know what he did to open it out. But he has the 650 sidecar record at El Mirage at 120. He was supposed to show up at Bonneville this year but for some reason didn't. He has obviously figured out how to make it fly. I opened the Weslake out to 546cc to run in the same class. Funny thing is I had no idea Len was doing the same thing. But the Weslake ran 132 top at Bonneville this year.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have wanted to build a chopper off a blast engine for sometime now. For no other reason then I think it would look funny. Too many projects stand in the way.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have wanted to build a chopper off a blast engine for sometime now. For no other reason then I think it would look funny. Too many projects stand in the way.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I want to super-single a Blast motor with a slave rod and counter weight, but I don't have "WTF were you thinking" money kicking around yet.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I want to super-single a Blast motor with a slave rod and counter weight, but I don't have "WTF were you thinking" money kicking around yet.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
The Blast was good for what it was. Getting women into the sport. A young, female, friend of the family bought a Blast for about $1500. Took her msf course, and rode that thing around a lot for a year. Sold it to another young woman for $1500 and then bought a new Sportster. She rode that thing a lot. Still rides her Sportster, a lot. I'll bet the woman that bought the blast will sell it down the road and buy something else as well. And probably won't loose a dollar on the resale. Just like most other Harleys.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
The Blast was good for what it was. Getting women into the sport. A young, female, friend of the family bought a Blast for about $1500. Took her msf course, and rode that thing around a lot for a year. Sold it to another young woman for $1500 and then bought a new Sportster. She rode that thing a lot. Still rides her Sportster, a lot. I'll bet the woman that bought the blast will sell it down the road and buy something else as well. And probably won't loose a dollar on the resale. Just like most other Harleys.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I like HD tour bikes even though I have never owned one. IMO they are perfect for the wide open roads here in the U.S. They also have a long history here and sound great doing 80/90 mph on an open stretch of road all day. Look, I like mostly European vintage bikes, but I can appreciate HD in the proper application.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I like HD tour bikes even though I have never owned one. IMO they are perfect for the wide open roads here in the U.S. They also have a long history here and sound great doing 80/90 mph on an open stretch of road all day. Look, I like mostly European vintage bikes, but I can appreciate HD in the proper application.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
quote:Originally posted by FR

I can't wait for your observations on the clientele...
Everyone I work with and every customer I have met were all very nice people. Only a few fit the "stereotype" image. They're excited about owning what is seemingly the most-desired brand of motorcycle in America. When you speak of brand loyalty, HD buyers rules supreme.

When I tell people that I have a couple of motorcycles, their first question is usually "Do you own a Harley?"

21 - 40 of 83 Posts