Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding it difficult to get a hose that goes from the carb to the intake manifold of my T500. I was wondering if going and finding something like a thick radiator hose or something similar to fit would work just fine.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
No. Radiator hose isn't up to the task. Sudco and others sell intake boots. Did you try your local Suzuki shop? If it's out of production I'd try searching some of the links provided above...

FR

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
why not fr? i used to use that stuff on ducati singles.

tex

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i'm with texy; i've always read you could. personally, i'd go toward boots oem for a rock solid street rider, but on the right toy, why not?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
ron ayers has the suzuki boots for the t500, as does paul miller motorcycles. I have orderd that exact part from both places and gotten it. they are $32 per boot and are also available at your local suzuki dealer. If they are for a 71-75 T500 the part number is 13110-32200

A couple of years ago I worked on a gt550 where the owner had done that. He was convinced that the bike needed a carb rebuild and other things. I ordered just the boots and installed them and the bike ran better than ever. If you look inside the rubber boots there is a special shape (it necks down) that isn't replicated inside radiator hose and will slow the incoming intake charge. Plus radiator hose doesn't seal all that well to the carbs, it is really hard to get a leak free seal with just the clamps.

In the past I have used radiator hose to sleve dry rotted rubber boots, sealing the space between the layers with silicone but that was only when the boot was unavailable.

With a two stroke you really want to have new rubber boots with no air leaks whatsoever. The smallest air leak will cause you to hole a piston fast.

FYI on cb750s, there is no internal shape so as long as you had a hose that was the same inside diameter as the stock rubbers you should be ok. The problem is that the inner ones are curved and unless you can find a radiator hose with the same curved section they usually crimp up.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I guess I'm going (way) back to my days working in a parts store. We'd occasionally get requests for fairly large diameter hose that would be rated for fuel use. At the time we sold Goodyear rubber products and the catalog said that the radiator/coolant hoses weren't rated for fuel. I seem to remember people trying to use straight reinforced coolant hose for fuel and after awhile (months...years?) the rubber would sag and deform. Rubber fuel hose is generally made of neoprene, radiator hose isn't.

And like Geet says, the correct boots generally have the inner ramp that form a smooth transition to the carb/manifold and also maintain the correct distance for the carb to the intake port.

Having said all that, I suspect you can use any reinforced rubber for awhile, but why not use the right parts and be done with it? That's all I'm sayin'...

FR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
that is why the best way to do it is to buy the large diameter hose and put the original manifold inside it, silicone the ends so there are no air leaks, and use a larger diameter hose clamp. This way the boot is airtight again, the rad hose is not exposed to fuel, and you don't have to rejet (if you use radiator hose you will have to rejet/retune the carbs).

in this particualr application (t500) though the BEST way is to spend the $60 and buy the right part which is commonly available and not worry about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geeto67

I was looking at my local shop online. http://www.houseofmotorcycles.com
I found my model (1970 T500). I saw the part that you were talking about Part #13110-32200 which is number 16 on the list.
I think that the person who had my bike before me may of changed to the next years part (71-75 version) But if you look at the picture on the 71-75 model under the portion Cylinder head-Air cleaner you can see that there are two pictures (one on the left and one off to the lower right hand side in the same box). The one on the left has the part #13110-32200 as #16 which looks like it connects from the Cylinder straight to the carb. But on the lower right hand picture it shows another layout with part #16 as part #20(which if you look down below I cannot purchase that part). I need part 19 I believe (part #13111-31001) It's a rubber boot that connects from the intake manifold to the carb.

I hope this is not too confusing. Please take a look at the website and let me know what you think.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts