Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Human beings generally, are pretty dumb. Half could not survive without canned food and a smartphone for a month. At least half of the motorcyclists I've encountered in my time, have some issue with their head. That makes it exciting one day, just sad dumb ass day the next. That is the reality.

People may have confused the words of experience from many posters, with arrogance.

I'm just about the same in real life as in words, there is no façade or thin verbose veneer here. I have run M/C businesses exactly the same way I carry myself here, BTW. And guess what? , they kept coming in droves and stuffing my wallet full of thousands of dollars. And they were not " badass shops ", either, I had all types walk in.

I don't allow mechanical mistakes to commence within my reach, that can end up in a pine box. This is called responsibility.

You can tell guys ten times why something won't work or be very dangerous, and then they jump back into five-year-age-brain mode and say " I wanna."

I am truly astonished as to how many fools turn up on this site to " build " a café racer style bike. Quite honestly these are often people who will fail at anything that they try to commence. And no amount of great advice, brash cajoling and " attitude adjustment " will divert them from their chosen course to nowhere. Where the hell do these guys spring from? . It beats me.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Techs are meant to be rude.
That's where I'll disagree with you. I'm referring to tech inspectors at races. I race with the SCTA at El Mirage and Bonneville and the inspectors will bend over backwards to get a guy on the course and racing. Its not their job to check and see if a bike is class compliant. Their job is safety. If they see something that is unsafe or against safety rules they will point it out and help you figure a repair so you can race.

No one here or on any other forum was born with a complete knowledge of bikes and how to build them. We all were dumb shits at one stage. Some learn and others never will. When a total noob comes on here those with knowledge should pass it on. And pass it on in a timely manner. I have an old Norton owners manual. It says "In preparing these instructions the elementary details and preliminary information that may be necessary to the absolute novice have been omitted, on the assumption that the majority of Norton owners are already acquainted with the elementary details of starting, riding and maintenance." Most of us here are as the Norton manual says. But at some stage we weren't. I believe we can guide total noobs in the right direction. I also believe to tell them to bugger off you don't know shit is totally lame. Why tell someone what they already know?

And what the hell is the big deal about passing on knowledge? All you can do is offer it and hope its taken. Knowledge doesn't have a price but it can be invaluable to someone who receives it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's where I'll disagree with you. I'm referring to tech inspectors at races. I race with the SCTA at El Mirage and Bonneville and the inspectors will bend over backwards to get a guy on the course and racing. Its not their job to check and see if a bike is class compliant. Their job is safety. If they see something that is unsafe or against safety rules they will point it out and help you figure a repair so you can race.

No one here or on any other forum was born with a complete knowledge of bikes and how to build them. We all were dumb shits at one stage. Some learn and others never will. When a total noob comes on here those with knowledge should pass it on. And pass it on in a timely manner. I have an old Norton owners manual. It says "In preparing these instructions the elementary details and preliminary information that may be necessary to the absolute novice have been omitted, on the assumption that the majority of Norton owners are already acquainted with the elementary details of starting, riding and maintenance." Most of us here are as the Norton manual says. But at some stage we weren't. I believe we can guide total noobs in the right direction. I also believe to tell them to bugger off you don't know shit is totally lame. Why tell someone what they already know?

And what the hell is the big deal about passing on knowledge? All you can do is offer it and hope its taken. Knowledge doesn't have a price but it can be invaluable to someone who receives it.
Good points. Its cool to pass on the knowledge but you shouldnt act like its a drag on your life for doing so. Thats what I am pretty much trying to say. Be helpful. Not an asshole. Most of the time? People here are just plain assholes. When told they are assholes it is usually rebuttal with "if you cant handle a little of this and that then you should move on." Which is the wrong way to approach a new guy into the MC community. Racing and the motorcycle community is great. Not sure why everyone has to act like the biggest and baddest tough guy on the internet. I am sure most if not all of you are just fine people outside of your own house and at the local track.

I see the new guys like this:

I sit at my pit waiting for my next race.
New guy who has never raced before comes up to me for advice.
He tells me what he has and what his plan was.
I tell him to pound sand and get out of the hobby/sport.
Or I can give him advice on the correct way to build a bike, be safe, ect. ect. ect.

Most of the time on here, people are just flat out told to basically go pound sand. Instead of trying to pass on their wisdom and experience from riding and building in a civil manner.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
People may have confused the words of experience from many posters, with arrogance.

You can tell guys ten times why something won't work or be very dangerous, and then they jump back into five-year-age-brain mode and say " I wanna."
Yeah especially when the message is delivered by an pompous ass who has no proven credentials, has often said incorrect dumb things and when that happens (hey we all are wrong sometimes) said person never owns up his words. yes I am talking about you.
There was one week you were a person one could respect - remember when someone said that maybe you got laid - that week.

while we are at it. What is a suspension subframe?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah especially when the message is delivered by an pompous ass who has no proven credentials, has often said incorrect dumb things and when that happens (hey we all are wrong sometimes) said person never owns up his words. yes I am talking about you.
There was one week you were a person one could respect - remember when someone said that maybe you got laid - that week.

while we are at it. What is a suspension subframe?
You mean the swing arm?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
it's because nothing interesting is being built and showed or talked about, chances are it's because anyone building anything interesting doesn't care to put pictures up because they've already got a network of people who they ask for advice off forum. unfortunately it's like a new right of passage for the up and coming jesse jamesers to come on here and defend some crap pile and then whine about getting picked apart. i ignore 90% of new builds that come on here because frankly I doubt any of them are actually looking for any advice.
1+++
I just wanted to say that I do see your point of ignoring 90% of the builds here.....
(betting you still look thru them thou) :)
Yes, there are many that get defensive of their builds and arn't looking for more than a 'Pat on the back'...

Personally I would rather have an error pointed out than to have it cost more in skin or moneys later on..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Yamaha makes much the same statement in their service manual's .. Fords service manuals also...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Yamaha makes much the same statement in their service manual's .. Fords service manuals also...
The last new Yamaha I bought was an 86 SRX. Literally everything in it was take it to the dealer. Nothing was serviceable by owner.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Thank you. One down and one on ignore. Life is good again. Except for Bonneville being cancelled again.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Thank you. One down and one on ignore. Life is good again. Except for Bonneville being cancelled again.
I see that it has been rained out again and I can tell you Bob is majorly pissed off. He stored the car/truck/trailer out there after the Aug. rainout and has a plane ticket for this Thurs. to fly out there. Wayne Jesel was going to pick him up in SLC and take him to the flats. Now Wayne is not going so he has no ride from the airport to get to the car. He'll have to fly out there just to haul the rig back home just like last year. Huge waste of money and time.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have a BSA in my garage that belongs to a friend in Denmark. He brought it over for SpeedWeek. After it was rained out he brought it to my house and went back to Denmark to make a few bucks and arrange some more time off work and come back for World Finals. Now he is in Denmark and his bike is 6000 miles away in SoCal. He has 30 days left on his import license before he starts to get fines for having it here over the time limit. I checked today to see if the time could be extended (maybe to next August LOL!). The words fat chance were ringing through my ears.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Saw it was rained out.
really sucks

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The SCTA had, at least, the brains to call it yesterday instead of of letting everyone show up and umm and arr for two or three days before calling it. Most of us saved the cost of the drive and a couple of nights hotel bill. It sucks alright. Now I'll have to go to El Mirage. El Mirage is OK but its only 1.3 miles. Bonneville is 3 miles. Once you've done three miles its hard to go back.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
That's why I'm going to limit myself to Ohio in the beginning, much more cost effective. One of last years events it rained half of Sat. morning and every one still got to make as many runs as they wanted. Bonne on my bike is not in my mind, but I wouldn't rule it out once I put some miles on mine.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
World Finals is always a roll of the dice. The rain out of SpeedWeek this year was the first rain out in 22 years. Its nice to have a concrete or asphalt surface so rain doesn't affect you.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
World Finals is always a roll of the dice. The rain out of SpeedWeek this year was the first rain out in 22 years. Its nice to have a concrete or asphalt surface so rain doesn't affect you.
Wasn't Speedweek last year so wet everyone kept spinning out and no real records were broken?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I got one of mine back last year. With a damaged piston. The long course got slippery. They closed it and moved to the long/short course. The salt on it and the short course wasn't bad at all. But then I don;t have enough HP to worry about spinning.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts