Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. what a day. perfect conditions. I corner worked for the morning, turn one. Good experience watching all the riders, good and horrible, take different lines into one. Some guys carry enormous speed into that turn . . . and they are also the guys leaned the most.

Cripes, you should see our man NHF Zach go into one on the Route 66 bike. He doesn't get a knee down . . . . because his thigh is between the bike and the frigging pavement and there isn't any room to put a knee down!! ! ! Serious tires and grip. I have to say I saw ALL 80 or so riders into t 1, and he was leaned the farthest and probably the fastest.

Sorry to see George go, but he turned 72 yesterday !! He had an awesome time with Hiroshi on the 50. They were screaming along. Hiroshi really gets his butt of that bike . .

I started working the turn one corner with Beth for the morning. She came with 7 or 8 buddies to go to the track day. Her "boyfriend" Tito was there on a sv650, who had been to hawk about three years ago. we spent the morning getting to know each other. She seemed normal. Then she started telling me about her experiences with Tito and his bike. Mile long wheelies with her on the back. Going 147 mph on deserted roads. Etc. So I go to relieve her after taking a few laps on the SR in the afternoon, and she goes to get some H2O and pee. Well, she never came back to relieve me, cause old Tito crashed into the barrier in 3 and tumbled and the ambulance ran. He's OK.

Frank, Spence and I had a blast on the 500s. Spence is pretty darn fast and smooth for an old guy. Matt, you seemed to be in great spirits . . . Let''s have some spirits on Sun. PM.

Not Nicky looked more like Nicky Hayden on the Derbi. AD, that is an awesome ride. Larry was on the track in probably every session . . . and PASSING Hayabusa's in the corners !!!

And for all of you that did not attend, make sure you check out Owens racing photos soon. George and Kiyoko had a group photo on the stands of everyone at the end of the day. Should be a hoot. There was a lot of middle fingers out and some butt showing.

You've heard it a million times, but go out and corner work. It's worth all the time.

scott

PS. Frank seized his two smoke. JB, he's saving the bike for the mighty 200 class. (it was a hoot listening to the radio chatter about frank when he took out the 2-smoke. "should we bring him in?" "Nah", i said. "it's just Frank" "but he is smoking alot" they said. I replied "It's supposed to smoke!" "But his bike is smoking" I replied again "You think that's bad smoking? You ain't been in the garages long enough" So when the session was over, Frank was the last rider to get the red flag on T1, so I said "smokey the bike clear turn one" and then all around the track on the radios as he passed the corner "smokey is clear" and "The Smoker is clear". A hoot.

Edited by - imslow on Jun 07 2006 09:42:26 AM

Edited by - imslow on Jun 07 2006 09:44:00 AM

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I was stationed by the flag poles in T5 and had a decent view of 3/4 of the track. Pretty interesting to see where different people enter T6.
I'd never spent much time watching the A group before. The pace was pretty intense. I don't know how people can keep that kind of focus later in the day. The accident red flag count was pretty low.
bfd

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah . . . that guy on the no. 1 bike, and then there was that duc, and that group of 4 fast guys . . . fast . . . . But I can see JB's past point about taking a "fast" bike out, so you realize what can be done with your maximum speed on a vintage piece o crap.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That was Tito who crashed huh? I was behind him, but not right behind. Seemed like our man just went straight at Turn 3. Betty Bluenose said it looked like he was looking right at the tire wall and just drove right in. He seemed to be in good spirits later though.
Thanks for the props Scott. A lot of me looking fast is probably guys like Tito going in before me. Hey Aaron, maybe we should put the front wheel on display that I was riding with. Some knuckle-head at this shop bent it while he was breaking the bead on the rain tire.
Also, as long as we're giving out praise for riding, I think Joe Ruth gets a star for the day. He flies on that Aprilia Mille, leaving rubber out of most corners. And Not Nicky was flying too! I was impressed. I don't think the numbers are big enough on that bike though...someone post a pic so everyone can decide.

Fun day, good weather. Too bad about Tito.

Z

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but the numbers are cut from "faux marble" vinyl. You have to see it up close to get the effect.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Hey Zach
Joe said to say thanks for the help and he'll put in a good word for you down at the brickyard.

It was fun watching you 2 getting through traffic. It's way more interesting when it's people you know. And to cheer for the guy on the NSR250 wearing the Donovon performance footwear

BFD

·
Registered
242 Posts
Uh-yeah -little bike-big numbers-I like that. There is no easy local source for black vinyl on Sunday in Portland so the closest was Black fake marble Contact from Target. I have to say I had more fun yesterday than during my first two racing seasons combined. Even though my Bridgestone still has problems and I only did a session and a half on it. I went out for the 50's lunchtime session, never having ridden the Derbi and not knowing what to expect. It felt so sure and quick that I asked George if I could take it out with the 'B" group, agreeing to pull in if it couldn't keep up the pace. It did and I had loads of fun pushing the the Hayabusas through the turns. Thanks A.D. for putting the bike together. I'm sure you and my ex- RD will make a lovely pair.
Larry
nN

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
yea, corner working is a good thing, you can learn alot.likewhat to do and what not to do!!

how was the camelhairys? were they smokin'? i think i got something for them this monday, we'll see.

Champ

·
Registered
434 Posts
quote:
Uh-yeah -little bike-big numbers-I like that. There is no easy local source for black vinyl on Sunday in Portland so the closest was Black fake marble Contact from Target. I have to say I had more fun yesterday than during my first two racing seasons combined. Even though my Bridgestone still has problems and I only did a session and a half on it. I went out for the 50's lunchtime session, never having ridden the Derbi and not knowing what to expect. It felt so sure and quick that I asked George if I could take it out with the 'B" group, agreeing to pull in if it couldn't keep up the pace. It did and I had loads of fun pushing the the Hayabusas through the turns. Thanks A.D. for putting the bike together. I'm sure you and my ex- RD will make a lovely pair.

Larry,
What's the problem with the B'stone? That bike ran great for me(?) I talked to Marhan and he said it was going good in the practices at the last race, but you weren't going to race it if it rained (don't blame you). What's it doing?

Dgy
Larry
nN

·
Registered
242 Posts
At this point I think it was something as simple as fouled plugs. We had to wait a long while (maybe 8-10 minutes) for the ambulance to get off the track after an incident with the A group. I was running the engine intermittently. When I finally got underway it was running rough and so I pulled in after a couple of laps. Then I got involved with the Derbi for the rest of the day and didn't look at the 'Stone until I loaded it in the trailer. Yesterday, on a hunch I looked at the plugs and they were soaked. Problems (maybe) solved.
LouieQ and I are going to check everything Saturday so I have high hopes that it will all work out. By the way, I love the bike-that one practice when it was running right gave me a big smile. Larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts