Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1977 Suzuki GS750
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1977 Suzuki gs750 and I want to change the front head light to something more updated like an LED one

are there any recommendations on what to buy

it’s a 7 inch head light stock

· Registered
9,129 Posts
The one I like is an 18watt 6 inch 6 LED spot reflector light in a single row, about 20 bucks and you can run it off a rechargeable battery to avoid adding a load to your stock charging system and battery. You can find it anywhere they sell light bars for jeeps or boating, or farm equipment, super easy to mount.

· Registered
1977 Suzuki GS750
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you buy a DOT approved lighting you know it will meet a decent standard.
if your bucket is in good shape a halogen bulb is about $20.
Well with that being said what size should I get? I personally don’t want to start pulling it apart while I have the wrong part that I thought would work

· Registered
2,402 Posts
Well with that being said what size should I get? I personally don’t want to start pulling it apart while I have the wrong part that I thought would work
You'll have to do some searching to find what you need, I don't know. As Trials says the trick will be to find one your system will handle, most are over 50 watts.

· Registered
3,624 Posts
I think you will find that most LED headlights use a lot less power than any of the original or halogen replacement and generate a brighter whiter light. They are often sold as say 55watts, but that usually means the equivalent light to an older style 55w bulb. There are available on ebay, and other places, typically in 7" (stock on most bikes) and smaller 5.75" sizes. I have used both on different project bikes. You can usually buy the same units off ebay as from specialty storestypically at a significant saving.

Having tested a few different units, some have a bright and less bright set up which isn't exactly what you need and isn't DOT approved but may be suitable for your needs. A good quality LED with correct beam cutoff might be harder to find and will probably come from Europe with a much higher price tag.

Stay away from high power halogen bulbs or HID (High Intensity Discharge) type lights which will over tax your electrical system. And consider wiring in a relay so that the headlight gets all its power more or less directly from the battery without overworking the switches.

· Registered
9,129 Posts
I just looked up some DOT approved LED motorcycle headlights, they don't take any less power, they ranged from 55 to 80 watts, the ones that take less power are for scooters that top out at 35mph.

· Registered
1977 Suzuki GS750
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you will find that most LED headlights use a lot less power than any of the original or halogen replacement and generate a brighter whiter light. They are often sold as say 55watts, but that usually means the equivalent light to an older style 55w bulb. There are available on ebay, and other places, typically in 7" (stock on most bikes) and smaller 5.75" sizes. I have used both on different project bikes. You can usually buy the same units off ebay as from specialty storestypically at a significant saving.

Having tested a few different units, some have a bright and less bright set up which isn't exactly what you need and isn't DOT approved but may be suitable for your needs. A good quality LED with correct beam cutoff might be harder to find and will probably come from Europe with a much higher price tag.

Stay away from high power halogen bulbs or HID (High Intensity Discharge) type lights which will over tax your electrical system. And consider wiring in a relay so that the headlight gets all its power more or less directly from the battery without overworking the switches.
Are there any you recommend me buying

1 - 13 of 13 Posts