Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went to hook up my headlight just to see if it would work. I just plugged the bulb into the 3 prong headlight thingy without the bucket. The bulb worked initially but only on high beam. I left it hooked up for a minute and then took it off and put the bucket on and hooked the bulb back up and nothing happened. Totally dead, i checked all the switches, and looked for loose wires but i couldnt find anything. No blown fuses that I could see and everything else worked fine, gauge lights, etc... Is there some kind of headlight fuse that i dont know about or something, could I have screwed it up by not having it grounded or something?

Any help would be awesome, all I need is a working headlight and I can ride the bitch.

My CB750 Project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4739

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
was the key on,it srealy a matter of jiggling thinks and switching things to see ,does the bulb look good shake it is it loose in side.
play with the socket to the bulb.old bikes equal old connection and old contacts have faith it will work....with some playing about.there are a few main fuses on cb, some just have one.
switch the hi low switch hondas are none for the switches being quicky with age .

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I'm goign to go initially with your headlight being blown. That beign said the nuts that hold the headlight bucket in place often serve as the ground too (either by a washer that goes in between the nut and the bucket or a lead soldered to the nut). Check to make sure that did not slip off the inside when you were putting the headlight bucket back on the bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i checked the bulb but its kinda hard to see inside, it dosent look blown though. And I didnt have the bucket on the first time i hooked it up and it worked, so there was no ground via those nuts on the side of the bucket, could that have fucked it up? Once again i had it hooked up w/ the bucket and nuts on the sides and it was dead.

Geeto, do you think a mid 70's cb450 tank will fit over the tunnel on my 73' cb750. I know it will be shorter but i dont know if its wide enough.

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Yeah i checked the bulb but its kinda hard to see inside, it dosent look blown though. And I didnt have the bucket on the first time i hooked it up and it worked, so there was no ground via those nuts on the side of the bucket, could that have fucked it up? Once again i had it hooked up w/ the bucket and nuts on the sides and it was dead.

Geeto, do you think a mid 70's cb450 tank will fit over the tunnel on my 73' cb750. I know it will be shorter but i dont know if its wide enough.

My CB750 Project:
my gut feeling is no the 450 tank will not be wide enough. the 450s frame doesn't have those goofy side rails like the 550/750 do.

it is possible that you blew the bulb checking it. The only way to know for sure is to hook it to a battey and see if it works. I don't know how your setup looks but it is possible you disturbed something when you were putzing around in there.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you dont want a smaller tank on a 750 the super stock tank is bigger and better .the cx500 "bread box is a better choice over the 450 as its larger in width and length then a 450.I use them on the cb450 and two 360's it looks racey.

more likely grounding issue then blwing a switch ,switches dont blow they break or wires burn up

Edited by - LILBULL on Aug 04 2007 6:28:17 PM

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah im worried thats what i did, i probably burned something up, but i cant find it. i could go buy a new bulb, but i have two and neither of them work, ive got another bates that i could hook up and see if it works. there is some goofy electrical tape connections on some of the wires in the bucket so its a cluster fuck in there and its gonna take me forever to find the problem.

i just want a tank that is a little smaller but wide enough to cover the rails, the 450 tank is a good size and ill bang the tunnel out if i have to, ill check out the cx500 though.

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
inside the bucket just looks like a mess it really isnt its just the place where they connect from the switches to the main frame harness.
So if your problem is head lights (I m feeling its very minor issue.I mean you didnt see any thing smoking or smell rubber have you or see or hear and sparks...no.So its most likely a loose ground or corroded connection .

The head light is out so follow the wires from the head lamp sitch and pull them out ONE AT A TIME from the connections run some sand paper over them and click them deep back in the connector with a small thin screw driverDONT STAB YOUR SELF but be sure they are snapped in deep.not just a light push and resting half out.

Look at the head light ground besure its connected.

Im sure your problem ISNT a problem just a matter of patience and getting thru it by doing not be looking at all the wires and giving up its do able once you start .

a few guys here have takin my advice and have made the cx500 tank work on their cb450s.its wide we have to widen the mount to make it work on the cb450.

there are three or four of them on ebay now cx500 deluxe tank

I think Ill chrome or nickle plate my next one chuh...ching,cost some but would be NICE!

they look like this picture on the right is a cb450 and cb360 I have put them on
http://www.backallycustoms.com/

Edited by - LILBULL on Aug 04 2007 7:35:33 PM

Edited by - LILBULL on Aug 04 2007 7:42:16 PM

Edited by - LILBULL on Aug 04 2007 7:46:02 PM

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i know that the wires in the bucket usually look messy, but like i said there are a bunch of elictrical tape connections, the guy who had it before me replaced the wiring harness and he spliced a bunch of shit together so its all over the place more than usual. ive alrealy pulled all the connections and checked the grounds, i spent atleast a couple hours pulling everything apart and putting it back together as solid as possible. im gonna go over it some more but with a new bulb to check with just in case the one ive been using is blown.

those cx tanks look awesome. the tunnels look wide too which is a good sign. i looked on ebay and ill try to pick up a beat up one cheap.

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
time to get out the wiring diagram and redo the harness. DO it once, do it right, and your bike will be real good to you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updates, b/c i know everyone wants to know so bad.

I borrowed a test light from my buddy and tested the wires for the headlight. They were all dead. All three wires running to the headlight had nothing. So i followed them back down as far into the harness as I could get and there was still nothing.

I dont know what to do. I dont really know shit about wiring and I dont want to pull the whole harness, but I dont know what else i could do.

If the headlight switch was dead would that cause the wires to be dead?

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
dont bother go on ebay and get a good used on I got one for a cb360 for 19 dollars get a replacement one and end your fustration by bringing things up to stock again.THATS THE BEST WAY TO GO from where you are now to a good bike when your done get a good used one on ebay .

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the headlight fuse under the left sidecover would cause the light to be dead, and fuse boxes go bad often on cb750s.

used harnesses are basically trading your problems for someone else's, sometime you get a really good harness, other times you are worse off when you started.

you don't have to remove the harness to do the proper repairs. Get a soldering gun, and go to where ever you see electrical tape and:

- use a western union knot to tie the wires together
- solder the connection
- use shrink tube to cover it up (remember to put the tube on one of the wires before you tie them together)

any kind of bad wiring job can cause blown fuses and shorts. neither are good for your bike.

incase you needed to know what a western union splice is:

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm

Edited by - geeto67 on Aug 05 2007 11:58:11 AM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
a good used harness is just that,one that wasnt fixed or cut into just stock Id go with a used one on ebay as I have had good luck with them and you dont have to figure out someones repairs.My cb360 had a lot of repairs I fit the used one with no problem took me less time to fit the harnees then it took me to razor blade all the electric tape off the old one just to see what was going on.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Before you start replacing wiring, buy fresh fuses (Radio Shack or an auto parts store will sell you a four fuse pack for $1.50 - $1.99) and get some scotchbrite. Pull the old fuses and run the scotchbrite back and forth through the fuse terminals to clean them. Then install the fresh fuses. You should do this anyway regardless of if you need to fix wiring or not.

You should also go through and use contact cleaner and scotchbrite on any of the multi plug electrical connectors to clean them up. You'd be surprised at how much difference 30 years of corrosion can make.

I recently had a GS850 that had a lot of electrical issues (no lights, no blinkers, no horn, etc...). It all came down to poor connections on the fusebox and the larger block connectors. I only had to repair one wire and that was the melted one leading into the toasted regulator/rectifier.

Jim

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so it is blowing fuses very easily, ive gone through like five 15A fuses, but i made sure the fuses were ok when i was testing. do you guys know which fuse is the headlight fuse? ive got a 5, 7, and 15, i dont see a master fuse.

also i went below all the electrical tape bullshit to test the wires so unless there are some other shitty connections somewhere deeper in the harness, that shouldnt be the problem.

im not against replacing the whole harness, but the only probably seems to be the headlight, its something stupid somewhere i just cant find it.

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:
Before you start replacing wiring, buy fresh fuses (Radio Shack or an auto parts store will sell you a four fuse pack for $1.50 - $1.99) and get some scotchbrite. Pull the old fuses and run the scotchbrite back and forth through the fuse terminals to clean them. Then install the fresh fuses. You should do this anyway regardless of if you need to fix wiring or not.

You should also go through and use contact cleaner and scotchbrite on any of the multi plug electrical connectors to clean them up. You'd be surprised at how much difference 30 years of corrosion can make.

I recently had a GS850 that had a lot of electrical issues (no lights, no blinkers, no horn, etc...). It all came down to poor connections on the fusebox and the larger block connectors. I only had to repair one wire and that was the melted one leading into the toasted regulator/rectifier.

Jim
yeah, all the fuses are new, i havent cleaned the fuse box but i dosent look to bad. once again, the headlight worked for like 10 min, and then just shut off. When i tested the wires they were dead so it isnt just a blown bulb.

My CB750 Project:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
all the fuses arent blowing at once...so you need to follow the one thats blowing also you indicated other things were flashing that shouldnt be usually a wire melts itself thru other wires in the bundle and thats the result.It takes less time to cut the casing wrap off the bundle and search for the fault if you dont see any melted wires its a switch or wires plugged together where they dont belong(like some one selling a bike cheap would just push them into any socket they see open and its your problem)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts