Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a round headlight and bucket for the FT. I would like a headlight that uses an H4 bulb instead of a sealed headlight. Does anyone have any experience or feedback on these?

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-lighting-parts-satin-black-7-inch-headlight-bucket-66-65010.html

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-lighting-parts-black-6-inch-headlight-66-64313.html

I have searched around a bit on ebay but it seems like I will either get something that needs paint and new chrome, or pay basically the same amount as what Dime City is charging. I've seen a few that are over $50 and still need paint and chrome.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have no experience with those but throw one from baja designs on it

That would be sick

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Waste of money....not because it is bad quality but because it doesn't come with the lens, it is just a bucket and trim ring. For just a bucket and ring I usually walk over to the box of stock Honda headlight and pluck one out, any of which cost me $5 at most and any of which will take a sealed beam conversion lens - same thing you have to buy for the dime city light. So.....check your math....if it is costing you $50 to rehab a used Honda one you aren't doing it right.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Baja Design lights are pretty cool. A Little pricey but from what I hear really worth the money.

$175 from Baja, $107 on Amazon for the 4" or 8". The 6" is really expensive

Old buckets and rings are pretty cheap. Find a cheap one and paint it. Save yourself $45

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I use this on my brothers 1979 cb750F:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VETTER-7-INCH-HEAD-LIGHT-MOUNT-AND-BULB-USED-1978-/290663691757?hash=item43ace7f5ed&item=290663691757&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

these old vetter units are heavy gauge plastic, and the bonus is that the trim ring that holds the light in twists off without any screws or tools. Literally I walk to the front of the bike, Push in, Twist and the whole thing comes apart. Handy if you are standing in a pep boys parking lot at 8:00 with no tools and a blown bulb.

I don't know what this idiot is talking about the buld being worth some big money, I just put a honda sealed beam in there and it works fine. maybe if you were looking for the OEM plug for a beemer application or something but this just looks like standard honda connectors.

here is the conversion 7" roundie for $30.

Obviosuly this is not cheaper than dime city....but you get a better headlight shell design (the toolless vetter) and you would have to buy the conversion headlight anyway.

I have a box of headlights because I spent my life parting out bikes and going to swap meets, plus I rarely throw away motorcycle parts. Most I have are free, I can probably look and see if I have something for you, you pay shipping.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geeto,

I think you meant to post a second link for the 7" roundie conversion.

Yeah, I am looking forward to the day my parts box is better. If you have something I can use, that would probably be my preferred route. I don't even mind throwing in on top of shipping. The best I've found on ebay is about $30 after shipping for something that needs paint and the trim ring cleaned up. Any CB style 6-7" headlights should fit the bill. I am going to end up making mounts for it so I can work around just about anything.

Chris

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Tri bar? Go out to the garage....is your vehicle a:

A) auburn, cord, or dusenberg
B) a Volkswagen beetle with a Rolls Royce grill and you dress like a pimp
C) a gazelle
D) a buggy and you live in Lancaster PA

If not.....well....I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts