Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried using these,
I have a new wiring loom to fit to an AJS next weekend, with that in mind I bought a set of the connectors from ebay.
Got to say that I'm very impressed so far. Sorry for the crap pic btw.
100_2462.JPG

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Yep, that's a terrible picture :|
I think I am looking at the same kind of heat shrink connectors you would use on submersible water pump plumbing systems. Those I have used.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yep, that's a terrible picture :|
I think I am looking at the same kind of heat shrink connectors you would use on submersible water pump plumbing systems. Those I have used.
Those are the only ones we use in our shop on street bikes and race bikes. You of course need to make sure they are top quality but if they are that's the way to go. I don't trust straight crimp connectors (always a touch of solder) but really like the shrink connector for all applications. Cheers

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
I bought rolls of heat shrink tubing in various sizes years ago (single wall) and just cut off whatever length I need.
Purchased from an industrial electronic supply store, I think it was about 7$ for about 50 feet of the stuff. :| that was a long time ago, likely costs 5 times that now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Rub it in why don't you? Here's a slightly better one. View attachment 103675
I bought rolls of heat shrink tubing in various sizes years ago (single wall) and just cut off whatever length I need.
Purchased from an industrial electronic supply store, I think it was about 7$ for about 50 feet of the stuff. :| that was a long time ago, likely costs 5 times that now.
I agree with TrialsRider I to buy the shrink wrap by the roll and in about 4 different sizes. We not only use it for wiring projects but when we make oil and brake/clutch lines with braided steel aircraft hose we also cover those lines with shrink tubing. In those applications we cover the hose not to protect the hose but to protect other stuff from the hose. This said If you are going to use shrink tubing the best I've found is from Raychem. It's hard to find and expensive but the quality is top notch and so much better than the cheap s#@t that it's worth the trouble. The other up-side to the Raychem is that you need far fewer sizes as it has a far larger shrink delta when compared to the hobby crap that is sold in auto parts stores. I can't remember if they carry Raychem but a good place to go for high end hardware and the like is a company called Aircraft Spruce they have the very best Ziptyes (don't dry out and get brittle) pop-rivets hose clamps etc. The right place if you want stuff to last.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies chaps.
The new wiring loom was fitted using quite a few of the connectors and they worked a treat, I'd certainly use them again.
After getting 2 or 3 oil leaks sorted the old girl's now running and good to go, as soon as a new silencer and footrest rubbers turn up.
Thanks again.
100_2475.JPG

·
Registered
227 Posts
The new wiring loom was fitted using quite a few of the connectors and they worked a treat, I'd certainly use them again.
After getting 2 or 3 oil leaks sorted the old girl's now running and good to go, as soon as a new silencer and footrest rubbers turn up.
Thanks again. View attachment 103783
Thanks again. View attachment 103783
WOW ! Steveo she's better than magnificent all together a trip down memory lane and into a Brit Bike dealer with my Pop.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
SteveO, that has the same horrible rolling chassis as my first bike waaaay back in the sixties. I had a Fanny B and later on my little brother had a Jubilee with the same forks and frame.

That takes me back. Not that our bikes were as nice looking as that A Jay..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts