Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1976 CB550, 2019 Yamaha MT09
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member. Currently on year 4 of a cafe build that started with a $300 non-running bike that was half rolling chassis, half parts boxes. Almost done, just fabbed up a license plate bracket this afternoon. Engine was taken down to the case halves and totally rebuilt, dynoman 592 piston kit and a stage 2 head by Mike Rieck. Running 4-1 headers and had CR26s on it but they were too race bike setup for me (in the For Sale section now), I want to be able to have a stock idle even if it means giving up top end.

Learned to TIG weld to build this bike, got a lathe and mill and made a lot of the bolts and parts on it. Machined adapters to run the electrical system from a CBR600, lots of juice. All motogadget switches, gauges, signals and mUnit brain. Carbon fiber rear bodywork. GSXR750 front end, cognito hub laced to sun rims.

Just a couple pics here, you can find my 25 page thread over on the SOHC 4 forum if you want more details.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
F the bike. A tarted up cb550 doesn't do much for me anymore.
Want more pics of the lathe and mill...
And some of your fab work

Jk, nice job

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lathe and mill are not impressive to see, looks like a basic Shoptask 3in1. I converted it to linear rails to take out pretty much all of the slop. Most of the work on the bike isn't even visible - I did all ARP stainless bolts on everything. In sizes they didn't make I made my own bolts out of stainless round stock, welded on nuts and then faced them on the lathe. Replaced every steel spacer on the bike with aluminum parts cut on the lathe and then the hardest thing was the alternator. The crankshaft taper on the bike is a different taper than what the CRB rotor takes so I had to machine a taper spacer. So many hours just in that one part. But the alternator change alone saved 6 pounds off the bike and the goal was lightness. With oil and half a tank of gas it is 345 pounds.

New rear axle and castle nut out of stainless

Rear engine mount bolt

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
How the hell did u get a shoptask mini mill lathe to cut stainless threads...
I've gotta Google linear rails.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Notice your other bike is a fz09. I've always wanted to redo one into a little racier frame and chassis...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shoptask isn't what I would call a mini lathe. It is actually quite robust and can take pretty good cuts. The only issue with it was the slop caused by the jibs and that is gone. Add in a DRO and you can do a lot with it. I wanted to do titanium for the axle but cutting that was not fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts