Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
See if you can't figure out how to focus your camera before you take more pictures.
Do you mean the pictures in the last post are bad quality, or are you talking about the previous ones that got blurred out and watermarked by photobucket, because of their recently imposed user data storage limits?
Because if its the latter then there is no need for snotty remarks about my usage of a camera like that. They were all fine until recently and then photobucket screwed them up.

Kind regards,
Lukasz

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi all,
Since the last post i noticed I had a small oil leak from around the valve cover and from around the tacho cable opening in the valve cover.
I sealed it with some silicone gasket maker and enjoyed the bike all I could before winter kicked in over here.

After a few short trips the bike is running great, however there is a new small issue:

I am having a hard time hot starting the bike.
When the bike is cold, it starts right away without any problem, but when everything is up to operating temperature (e.g. after a 30-45min ride) it has a hard time starting.
For example the last time I took it out on the road i stalled it in traffic. I tried to start it again right away, but it would not fire.
It turns over on the starter but it sounds like the battery is low, and dies completely after a few turns.The battery is not weak at all, its in great condition.
The interesting part is that if I wait about 10 mins for it to cool down a bit, it starts right away again like nothing happened. Every time.
Needless to say it is a major annoyance.

In summary if it runs, it runs great, but the second you turn it off, you have to wait a while before starting it again.

It looks to me that the starter could be faulty, not strong enough to turn the engine over when everything heats up and gets tighter.
This lines up with the sound it makes when you attempt to start it again.
I also was suggested changing the ignition coils, i was told that when they run they heat up and if kept in use they keep going, but when stopped and still hot, they would make a weak spark when worked again. This could be an option but doesn't exactly like up with the engine cranking over with difficulty.
It it was the coils it would turn over normally just not start because of the weak spark.

What are your suggestions guys?
Maybe its just the nature of this motorcycle?

Kind regards,
Lukasz

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Hi all,
... I am having a hard time hot starting the bike.
When the bike is cold, it starts right away without any problem, but when everything is up to operating temperature (e.g. after a 30-45min ride) it has a hard time starting.
I would be checking the valve clearances.

... but your description of the motor running tighter when it is hot is very concerning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The valve clearances have been checked some time before and everything was perfectly within spec.

As to the engine running tighter when hot... well i would expect it to run a little tighter since things expand when heated up. Compression increases and so on.
If it was running tight when it warms up overall, it would let know of it during use, not just when starting up. Am i correct in saying this?

The thing is that when it runs, it runs perfectly (in my opinion), and will keep doing so when kept running. The problem is temporary and arises only right after its turned off following some use.

I'm leaning towards the starter, or at least I think it is something electrical.

Starter or something that heats up when in use, remains working even when hot if it isn't stopped, but fails when its started hot ...and works again when cools down a bit.

Kind regards,
Lukasz

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I'm really concerned one or more of your pistons and or something in your valve train is running too tight.

If it's one of those things it would be best to start taking things apart to inspect what's going on inside there,
instead of waiting for the whatever it is to seize while next season riding.

A fresh compression test might be the cheapest place to start.
woodsman was trying to help you rule out the starter as being an issue, if she bump starts easy that would suggest a starter problem,
if it's what I think it could be, your rear wheel will lock up and skid.

... maybe a real big Irish hill ;)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts