Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My name is Bennett and I created this account to help my friend make an old 1978 Suzuki GS750 run again. I've been involved in engineering projects like building solar powered vehicles and basic PC board wiring, but I have never fixed a motorcycle before. The person who owned this bike tried to convert the GS750 to a cafe racer. We've been able to fix many of the stuffs but am struggling with the wiring component. Will post another thread to explain our problems and inquire for help at the technical section of the forum. I'm excited to learn from y'all!

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I can sell you a road/track ready '79 GS750E that's already had everything done to it:

;)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
... The person who owned this bike tried to convert the GS750 to a cafe racer...
That sounds ominous,
most of the people that come through here are totally clueless when it comes to electricity, all they know is 'LED'
They have no idea what LED is or how it works, can't tell a capacitor from a bridge rectifier, but they know it's gotta be LED everything or you just are not cool.

It's an old bike, you will have no problem with the electrics if you are running all the old electrics. The bike is free of any complex modern electronics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear all,

Thank you for the offer! We were considering that but we wanted to fix this bike because not only we want it to run and use it, but we also want to learn something out of it. Thank you for the encouragement too! Will keep everyone updated with our progress.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That sounds ominous,
most of the people that come through here are totally clueless when it comes to electricity, all they know is 'LED'
They have no idea what LED is or how it works, can't tell a capacitor from a bridge rectifier, but they know it's gotta be LED everything or you just are not cool.

It's an old bike, you will have no problem with the electrics if you are running all the old electrics. The bike is free of any complex modern electronics.
I'd have to disagree with you based on one original component on his bike: the name badge. Suzuki has been in business for a very long time and have, yet, to figure out how to design a decent electrical system. The only things left of the original electrical system on my little GS are the fuse box, the main trunk of the wiring harness and the stator. The stator because I have upgraded to reg/rec circuit so it isn't taxed badly now, the main harness because, well, electrons still flow the same as the did 40 years ago and the wiring wasn't in bad nick, and the fuse box because I haven't had motivation to wire in the blade type mini fuse box that is sitting on my workbench for the bike.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
By "running all the old electrics" I meant not wanting to run LED digital lithium GPS wi-fi electronics. Other then that I think you actually agreed with me, unless you feel most cafe racer builders that come through here have proficient knowledge of electricity.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Reactions: TrialsRider
1 - 9 of 9 Posts