Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Found out about these forums by watching Hackaweek on youtube. I've been working on my 2001 Triumph Bonneville since January.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it in the middle of January:

Qu86gGL.jpg

And this is what it looks like today:

HbkqG4S.jpg

My direction with this Bonneville is a combination of cafe racer and street tracker.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Wondering why you put an off road tire on it and who made the shocks? I like idea of the Corbin seat but not in brown on that bike.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I kinda like the brown seat, it matches the patina on the headers ;) but you might as well hang up the passenger pegs, nobody is going to want to ride your hump.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm just a few miles north in white house.
I personally think the bike looked better with the black seat, and more practical with the rack and windshield, but that Corbin seat looks very comfortable.
I'd put some avon roadriders on it next time you need tires, unless you actually need the tread for muddy stuff.
My buddy in smyrna has the same bike in grey and I really like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The offroad tire (Bridgestone TW-22) was for a 6-day 1,200 mile motocamping trip with my younger brother. He was on an '07 Suzuki DR650SE, and we were on a good number of dirt and gravel roads. Just got back about three weeks ago, and I'm definitely looking at a good road tire now.

The seat is insanely comfortable! The stock seat was like sitting on a wooden board. After 30 minutes I was begging to get off the bike. Once I got the Corbin seat last weekend, I went on a 304 mile ride on Memorial Day and had a great time without needing or wanting to stop, other than for gas. I'm also getting rid of the passenger pegs this weekend.

The shocks are made and sold by TEC Bike Parts USA, they were $150. Obviously not on par with the higher end stuff, but miles better than the old stock ones and within my budget. Same company that custom made my exhaust system, which is all brushed stainless steel. When they get more in stock, I'll have a matching set of progressive front springs.

thechief86, I actually live in La Vergne, so I'm quite a lot closer to both you and your buddy. I haven't seen any other Triumphs around, other than the Ton Up Vintage Bike Show in East Nashville last weekend. I ride my Bonneville every day - commute to work, hang out downtown on the weekends, whatever gets me out on two wheels and with other riders.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
How did the Trail Wing tire work out? I've heard some refer to them as Fail Wings.
I just assumed you were doing some stunt riding for the next mission impossible movie.

Also, slightly shocked that the Bonneville didn't come with progressive rate springs, what's with that :/ surely it can't cost much more to make a spring slightly tighter wound at one end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tire performed beautifully for what I asked of it. We weren't moving real fast offroad, but it actually surprised me with how well it handled on pavement. If you're familiar with the Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the Dragon, that tire handled those curves and corners very well.

Yeah the front springs aren't progressive on mine. It's a first year Bonneville, so I don't know if they went to progressive springs later but mine are fairly crap.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Hey Sam, I ride everyday, too! You might have seen me on my Moto Guzzi somewhere along the way as I commute all over middle TN, and last year I rode from White House to Murfreesboro every day.
My buddy and I are riding to Savage Gulf state natural area to camp on Monday, coming back Tuesday. If you're free, you're welcome to come along! Next month we are planning a trip to Caesars Head state park in South Carolina, just an hour on the other side of Asheville, NC. More riding buddies is usually a good thing ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Sam, I ride everyday, too! You might have seen me on my Moto Guzzi somewhere along the way as I commute all over middle TN, and last year I rode from White House to Murfreesboro every day.
My buddy and I are riding to Savage Gulf state natural area to camp on Monday, coming back Tuesday. If you're free, you're welcome to come along! Next month we are planning a trip to Caesars Head state park in South Carolina, just an hour on the other side of Asheville, NC. More riding buddies is usually a good thing ;)
That sounds like a fun trip, but I work nights - 10pm to 6am, sunday night through thursday night. Friday and Saturday are my nights off. I'm definitely down for making some riding buddies though, I don't have any yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts