Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Relax, I was kidding. I welcome all input and ideas. I wish I had the chatbot's thoughts though. :(

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Fuel injection sucks. Carbs are adjustable with tools. Fuel injection is adjustable with mapping.... keep it simple.......
I used to be pro carbs......until I started tuning FI bikes. A power commander and a lap top. and the world is your oyster. SOOOOO much more adjustable than carbs, Soooo much easier. No gas smell on your hands. Adjustments can be made in seconds on the road (with a dyno it's even easier). You don't have to go out do a plug chop, then take the bike back to the garage to disassemble it. You just stop, plug the lap top into the module make your adjustment then try again...and I don't get met by my wife at the door instructing me to leave my gasoline smelling clothes in the garage!

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Fuel injection nowadays is pretty damn reliable - not like the 80's.

FI bikes rarely screw up and need maintenance like old carb'd bikes do.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Anyway - back to the OP.

Get some roadcraft under your belt before you start a big old project bike.

Riding an XR80 through the bush trails is so far different from dealing with traffic on a big road bike you may as well be saying you know how to cook because you bought a microwave.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Wrong

If you plan on buying a fuel injected bike and bringing it to the dealer everytime the stupid thing is screwed up..... go ahead.
If you are planning on having a bike that you can maintain with some basic tools..... get a carbureted moto.

Well see now that's the thing, I've been riding fuel injected bikes since 1986 and have yet to take any of my bikes to a dealer because it screwed up. They just work awesome and without fail. Even the one I dropped in the lake just needed to be dried out and it worked fine afterwards. Only special tools I own are the ones I make.
All my carbureted bikes and snowmobiles have needed frequent and repeated servicing plus the need to make adjustments with seasonal changes. Although I service those myself too, just with great regularity.

What did you buy that had such a crap fuel injection system that it turned you off them so badly? and did you try replacing the fuel filter?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Alright hillsy, I get your point. Is there a bike you would recommend that is a good first bike but that I can also make my cafe racer wet dream come true? I'm looking for a winter project. I won't be able to ride until next spring anyways.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
QUOTE=8ball;340106]...and I don't get met by my wife at the door instructing me to leave my gasoline smelling clothes in the garage![/QUOTE]

I know that in this day and age, this is wrong on so many levels, but hey... what the heck. You really need to get that woman under control.

control.jpg [

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Well see now that's the thing, I've been riding fuel injected bikes since 1986 and have yet to take any of my bikes to a dealer because it screwed up. They just work awesome and without fail. Even the one I dropped in the lake just needed to be dried out and it worked fine afterwards. Only special tools I own are the ones I make.
All my carbureted bikes and snowmobiles have needed frequent and repeated servicing plus the need to make adjustments with seasonal changes. Although I service those myself too, just with great regularity.

What did you buy that had such a crap fuel injection system that it turned you off them so badly? and did you try replacing the fuel filter?
I guess I am biased. I also hang out and race with old timers.. so there ya go. I never have any issues with my carbs. I set them up and run them.

laterz!!!!

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Alright hillsy, I get your point. Is there a bike you would recommend that is a good first bike but that I can also make my cafe racer wet dream come true? I'm looking for a winter project. I won't be able to ride until next spring anyways.
Without knowing anything about how tall you are or how heavy you are, a CB350. As suggested earlier, they race them so there's a LOT of aftermarket and go fast knowledge out there to make them peppy.

If you're 6'8" and over 250 then a GS750 is probably the best "old" bike from a size / ergonomic angle, but it's a big heavy thing. Maybe a DRZ400 to learn on, and a CB750/GS750/1000/1100/KZ900/1000 project to turn into a cafe bike for when you know how to not die on the roads.

Not trying to be an ass here - not dying on the road is actually something you have to learn and not everyone gets it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey guys,

So technically I'm doing a cafe build for my senior project for English and I need to interview someone(s) that are familiar with the topic or have built a cafe racer. I know nobody locally and was hoping to do it on this forum.

Would anyone be interested in filling out a 10 question interview? I can PM it to you or I can just post the questions here. Thoughts?

Also, any pictures of your builds, before and after, would be appreciated. Credit will be given where it is due. If you want to leave a name, vague location, or any other info, then I will use that. Otherwise I will use your username.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am 5'10" and weigh 200. So, hillsy, are you saying that a project is not a good bike to learn on or is it okay?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
10 questions :cool:
Post em and draw from the best responses !

5-10 & 200lbs omg another giant kid ;) pretty soon they are going to need to start building bigger motorcycles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So this has been a Bull shit ruse the whole time. Get the fuck outta here.:rolleyes:
No bullshit. You can literally do your senior project on anything. I've always wanted to do a cafe build, so now I have an excuse to tell my parents why I'm pissing away all my money. :)

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
ah to be 17 years old again lol
Hey wait, shouldn't you be getting good at riding dirt bikes, pulling down terrible grades in school and discovering girls :/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Here are the questions:

1. What defines a cafe racer?

2. What makes a cafe racer so unique compared to other bikes?

3. What is the first step to building a cafe racer?

4. What is the most important step?

5. What model bike(s) have you transformed?

6. Do you have a favorite build?

7. What was the most difficult part about that build?

8. How much did it cost?

9. How long did it take to complete the build?

10. How and when did you get involved in the cafe racer scene?

Thanks again guys. Just put the question number in front of your answer.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts