Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well anyway this is my first post and i thought i would introduce myself.
My name is Matt. I am from Trenton NJ.. I recently bought an 1980 Suzuki GS450 that i am working on. I had a Yam XV920 that i gave up on since i would take too much to make it look like i wanted it to. I have been into drift cars forever and still race alot. I run drift events at e-town every month with www.clubloose.com. All the car nerds drive me crazy so im looking for some "cafe" fans to work with and swap ideas with. I will most likely ask dumb ?'s since i am new to this crap. I am going to start a build thread soon but for now you can look at some car pics and pics of me.

here is the bike as i got it.

me in my competition car

me in my play car.

me playing.

nice to meet you guys ...

http://www.driftalliance.com

Edited by - sprinter666 on Jul 18 2007 3:01:45 PM

Edited by - sprinter666 on Jul 18 2007 3:03:10 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
welcome aboard.

I get out to e-town fairly often but usually for real motorsports events. It is a nice track till they started requiring all this equipment to let me run my death trap...er...dragbike

that GS looks almost too nice to cut up. Couldn't you do the ignorant newbie thing and buy a piece of crap (just kidding - newbies take note you want something closer to this than something you bring home in milk crates).

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I've been buying mine one part at a time.

Edited by - judeyramone on Jul 18 2007 3:42:23 PM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey yeah the bike was dirty and obviously been dropped a few times... high milage and not running due to a bad plug wire (haha) gave me this gem for 150 american dollars. to my door.

i have pretty much taken it apart at this point put on bars and i am waiting for my "mee too" parts from ebay ..you know the drill...,seat,grips blah blah..i replaced some worn stuff and im thinking about going nuts and tearing it down and going crazy but i want to ride real bad.. A.D.D is a bitch... anyway if any locals want to fuck around with bikes (or cars) for that matter pm me.. i also like drinking... which in itself can pose a problem when trying to get stuff done.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
"me too" parts... I gotta remember that.

you are close enough to NYC that you should sign up on the e-mail list for nycvinmoto.com. Lots of locals and some who actually want to ride and wrench.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
noted thanks for the heads up...

i saw some dudes in philly with real nice nortons.. but it seems they kept it too cool to talk to a dork on a jap bike. so whatever its just hard to have fun with this since the only guys i know are all on new bikes and like to wear lame jackets and buy the same helmet "rossi" wears and other lame shit.. they think these bikes are for kids cause they all ride fuel injected 1000's .. i sound so pathetic on these posts... jesus.

·
Registered
237 Posts
quote:
"me too" parts... I gotta remember that.
Yea he's from NJ, me and my friends used that term for anyone running a mustang with a flowmaster exhaust (I dunno why ford just doesn't make them with it on there so many people have them on their stangs) any yuppy riding a crotch rocket or harley is a "me-too" Corvette owners fall under the "me-too" organization. Down here in NC they just don't understand the comment "me-too"

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
basically its going like 70 and doing a burn out... the object it to keep the car sliding and the wheels spinning around a rd course or cone course... its really fun since basically you can do it in anything RWD.. its like super moto minus the dirt and 2 wheels...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
What are "drift" cars? The pics kind of look like autocross...
Ever go out during a snow storm and slide your car all over the place for fun? Same concept but on pavement. E-town just has a super huge parking lot to use for auto-x and drift events so the courses are laid out by cones.

Personally I don't consider it a motorsport because winners are determined by "style points", which is to subjective for my tastes and the word sport. I also don't consider freestyle moto-x or diving a "sport" either. That doesn't make it any less fun to watch however.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i see your point judged shit is kinda lame i agree.. but i got into it like 7 years ago and it was for "fun" now it has a huge industry and never did i see myself as a competitor.. it just kinda progressed that way when people saw green ....now it has rules, and people win and lose on judges descisions .. its really crappy.. but i still love the the "feeling" when i am actually driving, despite all the crap and politics.. also some make a living doing this and some do it virtually free.. you cant argue with that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice find, I started with almost the same bike as that. If you want to hop it up a bit the engine from an 89-96 gs500 fits right in, is a few pounds lighter and has more hp and torque

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
whoa.. 89-96 huh... thanks for the tip orange... maybe i will start the hunt for when this baby pops.. its got waaaaaaaaaaay lot of miles on it.
50cc more is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sprinter. Just wanted to say hi, I mount all the POV cameras on the Formula D circuit. The D-Alliance guys are good dudes.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
matt,

hasn't posted here in awhile.

dunno what happened to him.

tex

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
im oretty sure hes sold his bikes. one of the kids across the hall was pretty good friends with him.

jc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts