Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas on a good place that has open face helmets that arent too alien like? they all seem too "futury" to me. i just want a good normal round helmet.. by the way has anyone laughed at the mohawk helmet thing that seems to be sweeping across the nation like the plague?

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Full face helmets are the way to go. Really. I've been bruised by gravel and june bugs through a thick leather jacket before. Wouldn't want to get one of those in the face.

HJC makes some good and inexpensive helmets. Look into modular helmets if you want something that opens up in the front.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
open face helmets are great if you don't care about your face. I recall reading somewhere that a large percentage of motorcycle fatalities are due to impacts to the jaw ramming the jawbone back through the spinal cord.

also, even if you're not dead, seven weeks of a wired-shut mouth don't sound like fun, either.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Open face helmets are for people who've never done a face plant onto the fender of some old granny's 61 Ford Square body T bird

Get a full face helmet. The money you save on dental bills will be enough to buy another bike!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
wow, we are a bunch of dicks on this board.

While I happen to agree about full face being the way to go, it is nice sometimes to have a 3/4 just to toss on if you are going round the block or something quick. That being said, I have tried most of them and most of them are such shitty quality I don't know if I would recommend them.

Davida Jet - the outer shell is weak, really weak. The inner foam is pretty healthy, and they are almost noise proof, but the outter liner on my hailwood cracked from normal use. garbage.

Z1r - make a decent 3/4. the are bulky but durable. most of the NYC people who ride scooters have these. They do make you look like the great gazoo however.

Fulmer - are you fucking kidding me. this isn't a helmet, it is something for a cool azz hipster to have on his shelf. About as much real protection as a paper condom

Biltwell - defined the word novelty helmet. The biltwell people are cool, and the paint is really nice, but you might as well be helmetless with it on.

asia brands you see on ebay - buddy of mine bought one, looked like a fighter jet helmet painted john deere green with the logo. he was shocked when I was able to pull the foam out of it like it was a lining. I have taken craps with better quality.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
BTW, the simpson bandit lid is the ultimate in retro cool. not a million bucks and you don't look like the typical gsxr pilot. You do end up looking like darth vader/a storm trooper depending on what color you pick.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have a *nice* KBC, which is still a bottom-of-the-line helmet...but it's what i can afford.

If you can afford it, buy an arai.

Not full face? That just sounds stoopid. If something's going to be scraped off onto the pavement, I'd rather it be fiberglass and foam than my flesh and bone. I like having a face, and teeth.

Riding motorcycles is fun until your face is smeared on the road, then I am guessing it isn't anymore...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll try to keep this short.
A friend I ride with asked me once how I could wear a full face helmet. Wasn't it restrictive, obstructive, hot and heavy. He wore a 3/4 lid. I told him that more than half of motorcycle "head" injuries were actually face injuries. He's a pretty bright guy (he rides Italian) and the next time I went riding with him he had a full face helmet.

An hour later he was lying on the side of the road with his Morini 3-1/2 a crumpled mess in the middle of the road. A woman had pulled across right in front of him and he ended up T boning her (she had been talking to her daughter next to her and didn't see us). He was ok enough to be cussing and swearing by the time I got to him, and he only ended up with a repairable knee injury and some minor road rash (he had gone over the car).

A little later, after the ambulance left I began cleaning up his stuff (jacket, helmet, boots) off the side of the road where either he or the EMTs had strewn it. When I picked up his new full face helmet, the entire front side and visor had been ground down by the road. 1/8 inch deep and 2 inches wide from just above the visor to the bottom edge.

I don't much care what other riders use. They can wear a pink bandana for all I care.

I wear a full face helmet.

·
Registered
888 Posts
i have an old shoei ''hondaline stag'' helmet from 75'. its a great fit and has survived side impact with a bus and then pavement, barely a scratch on it. shoei and arai still make great helmets for guys who dont have xxl heads in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Bell X-1

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yah thats all legit, id rather have a 3/4 but i guess its true about the face thing, when i was a kid riding dirtbikes i remember hitting the front of my helmet on the bars pretty often. i do like the old fulmore helmets and i do have a pretty small head so most helmets that i try on are pretty stormtrooperish. i guess well see what happens. where is tjs?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I was an Arai man until I tried a Suomy. I've never owned a better helmet. Just an opinion but that seems to be what you're looking for.

Z1R and AFX both make good looking, quality full face helmets for under $150.00.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts