Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
my full-faced helmet saved my ugly face at turn-6 (the bowl) at nhis a few years back. got clipped and high-sided at 80+mph (ask unga)(he didn't do it...he picked me up after). did multiple barrel rolls hitting a few cantaloupe sized rocks along my way to a stop. all surfaces of the helmet took hits. face would have been crushed. 3/4 leaves an important quarter in the wreck zone.
-parks

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
oh....THAT one...heh...thanks

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Craig,
Why bother, as often as you have the clutch cover off your old Honda, any old oil should do.

Your Pal,
Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
hello pot?.....It's Kettle.......

I fill my oil tank with hopes and dreams - never failed yet! And I use two bircks strapped to the side of my head with a shoe lace as a helmet, man does it work.

·
Registered
472 Posts
God damn, the guy didn't ask for a lecture regarding his helmet choice. He asked where he could get a decent open helmet and only one or two people have provided any useful information to that end. Quit acting like a bunch of hand wringing nannies.

·
Registered
602 Posts
quote:Originally posted by whiskeysid

God damn, the guy didn't ask for a lecture regarding his helmet choice. He asked where he could get a decent open helmet and only one or two people have provided any useful information to that end. Quit acting like a bunch of hand wringing nannies.
OK, I went through the whole thread and didn't see your recomendations. That being said, it sounds like the guy needed a little ducation regarding type as well as choice. Saving a guys face isn't being a "Nanny" it's just the right thing to do. As far as recommending an open face, I can't do it because I'd never own one, just figured my post with the video would be a reality check.
2 cents.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i wear the box that my davida came in as i feel it will offer me more protection than the helmet.

davida = garage shelf art

i like arai....handmade helmets, quiet, light, expensive....but fit and finish is perfect, so it's worth every penny IMO.

i like a boutique experience when purchasing a helmet. i normally go to my local dealer and try them on, then i purchase it there.

support your local dealer so you'll have a place to buy a motorcycle in the future.

or try to order your next bike through "new enough.com".

tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
You know there is always Altier ruby for when how you look sitting on the bike in the starbucks is more important than how you look knee down in a turn:

http://www.ateliersruby.com/

They have these down at vespa soho, and I have had the chance to inspect them up close. The paint and materials in that helmet are better than what is on most of my bikes, which is good since the helmet costs more than most of my bikes.

I have an HJC AC-12 carbon I use occasionally. if you never want to think about the fact you are wearing a helmet again, buy one. I have hats that weigh more. Also carbon supposedly gives you massive amounts of street cred, so it doesn't even matter if you look like an alien in one - you are a carbon fiber alien!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
people who bitch about the price of a real helmet essentially innumerate themselves, their family, their friends, and their quality of life to the lowest bottom dollar.

don't know about you, but i wouldn't smash my teeth out with a hammer or shove my face into a table grinder for a measly $200. shit, wouldn't even consider it for $1,000. and a top of the line helmet is half that.

but, it's your life. do what you want.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
this is tired.

full face. expensive is for noise/finish/features. i've crashed a few "cheap" helmets (hjc/scorpion) in my time and can still spell better than keith. all my offs show considerable damage to the chinbar/visor.

-tt

·
Registered
888 Posts
yeah, poor people shouldnt complain about being poor. but i guess they'll eventually all die off thanks to not being able to plop down a months rent for a helmet.

this thread IS tired. the guy just asked about where to get a helmet he wants that isnt scooter quality taiwan crap. let him decide if he wants to save up to buy a better helmet down the line, but dont belittle anyone because price is an issue. thats just elitist garbage that doesnt really work in the real world.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have an HJC full face that I wear pretty much everywhere, but on my old 200 I was looking for something that looked less like I was a monkey F***ing a football.

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/products.php

They have some DOT half shells, and some even slimmer novelty helmets that I heard fit good and don't have much weight.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts