Cafe Racer Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
you all have valid points but for now im not racing. (im not going to starbucks either) but im kind of a skinny dude (5 11 and 140 pounds. most helmets make me look and feel like a bobble head.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Well motorcycling is all about looking good. And everyone knows that open face helmets really turn on the chicks. And since you're not racing you should be fine. Because accidents only happen on the race track.

Dennis Kirk has a bunch of open face helmets. denniskirk.com

Good luck.

Craig

·
Registered
472 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BANDIT

quote:Originally posted by whiskeysid

God damn, the guy didn't ask for a lecture regarding his helmet choice. He asked where he could get a decent open helmet and only one or two people have provided any useful information to that end. Quit acting like a bunch of hand wringing nannies.
OK, I went through the whole thread and didn't see your recomendations. That being said, it sounds like the guy needed a little ducation regarding type as well as choice. Saving a guys face isn't being a "Nanny" it's just the right thing to do. As far as recommending an open face, I can't do it because I'd never own one, just figured my post with the video would be a reality check.
2 cents.
I thought someone might catch that. I didn't recommend anything because I've never owned ANY helmet. I don't need any "reality checks". If I was so deeply worried about my safety, I'd ride a car. And maybe wear a helmet in my car.
I imagine that most people hear catch enough shit about the danger of motorcycling from their families, etc., that they don't need any more of it on their motorcycle forum.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Oh so safety oriented . FULL FACE FULL FACE . Should all work for frickin OSHA. :D

If you want to wear an open face it's all good . You want a good 3/4 with a decent price tag ? Get a Fulmer .
You want a classier one ? Get a Davida . ( and the only garage shelf art Davidas are the ones that folks buy and are too pussy to wear them and want their Arai full face back ) . I have 2 Davidas . Both are well made and are very quiet . Plus safe for a 3/4 helmet .

Fact is it's your head , man . Want to wear a full blow up suit and a test pilot / NASCAR helmet ? Yay . Full leathers and a full face ? A Schott and a Davida ? You're safe . No helmet and a thong ? I know a good place for cheap life insurance .

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I owned a 3/4 helmet in 1974. It was black metal flake plastic with a bubble face shield on it. I was cool as heck riding around on my purple 67 Yamaha YM-1. Then I got a Bell Star 90 from the Yamaha shop just like Kenny Roberts wore. 1 week later a Chrysler New Yorker took a left turn in front of me. I totaled the car, the bike, both arms and 1 leg, I had some cuts on my neck and chin, and a concussion and the Bell was toast. I had no broken bones in my face or head and no brain injury. I won't ride around the block without a full face helmet on.
So, for all you whiners that don't want to hear about it and just want me to answer the OP's question, OK. If you want a 3/4 helmet because a full face looks and feels funny, then go to a big shop or series of shops to try on every helmet in every style and size you can find until one feels right. I suggest trying some of the Italian brands. They seem to be a little smaller in shells and fit differently. Shoi, Arai, etc don't fit my head very well. I use and AGV on the street. Nolans also fit me well. They are lighter because they have a plastic, oops Polycarbonate, shell. Some people will say the plastic shell isn't good enough but they are full of it since there is no true measure of effectiveness unless you are drinking the Snell Kool-aid. I have crash tested a Nolan on the track and it held up fine. I have crash tested any number of brands on the track and they have all been fine (7 times one season is my personal best), but most of them had damage of some sort to the chin bar, which would have been my face.

Ken

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I miss Rosko and Tex
So many people have dropped off the radar. Its a real shame.
Speaking of which... what about Geeto?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Geeto is still kicking around. Was talking to him the other day.
He really should share more about his current project.
We need to be the change we want to see in the forum. Gotta give everyone that fresh motivation

·
Registered
10,661 Posts

But this is my cafe racer now.....

Some times there are "projects" that look like this.

I share more junk on DriveTribe these days.
Feels like a more fun format then the older forums.
Less of a "thread" though.

But at this point Im not doing big builds. Its more about the process of buying smart, servicing well and getting out on the road.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I've been looking at getting a Suzuki DRZ400 supermoto as a daily rider

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a lot of factors to consider when deciding if you should use an open face motorcycle helmet. One of the most important things to consider is the impact of the open face helmet on your facial structure. Some basic facial issues that can lead to serious injuries if you were to use an open face helmet include:
a) High and stiff cheekbones
b) Strong chin
c) Low brow ridge

41 - 60 of 66 Posts