Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...newbie here...hope this is the place for answers.

I'm building an XV920R cafe project. This bike has an "enclosed-chain" drive. A very cool feature that I want to keep. Here's where the problem starts. I want to put wire wheels on, but the only rim that works with the chain enclosure is the stock swirly mag. I heard there are spoked rims that mount the same way, but I have never seen one. The attached photo will probably explain it better than I can. It's from the service manual. Any in sight would really help.(not sure how to attach a photo, so I added the link...hope it works)

Thanks
Larry

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k376/920Rcafe/920rRIM.jpg

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
you're kidding right?

I'm sure you want help but that is all the picture and info you can come up with for somebody possibly willing to help you?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
anyhow..... I kinda doubt that the only wheel that can be made to fit that drive is the yamaha mag

and I know for sure that a different pattern/size drive can be grafted onto the final drive

so if you really want spokes on it

you'll probably have to cut some metal if there truly is nothing that will just plug and play

dimensions might be useful in assisting with your search although my experience has been that most people aren't going to unbolt their wheel to see if one on their bike would do it

so might need to take your dims and pattern info to a guy that has lots of wheels laying about

or go to a junkyard yourself

I have a few cush drive wheels and wouldn't be too put out to go measure a few if you have some numbers

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it doesn't look like there is anything different about the wheel...just the cush drive. Take accurate measurements of the wheels and go to the bike salvage yard and try to find a hub with the same dimension cush drive layout. good luck

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's a starting point for a dialog. First, thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the insight. My knowledge is narrowly focused on these bikes, and I don't know much about other configurations. I had a feeling the cush drive was much more common, and thats why I'm asking questions. I've seen lots of mods to these bikes, and a few with spokes, but never with the enclosure.

Have you ever seen a spoke wheel with a cush drive? I figured thats a good place to start, and then I'll figure out how to make it work. Also, I was looking for any kind of cross-reference service to see what other models share the same rubber-dampers used in the hub. No luck on that so far.

I will post more pics and dimensions. Another question...how did you attach that pic??

Larry

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
a cush drive is the combination of the hub, internal rubbers, and sprocket carrier. Nearly every chain drive japanese bike from the mid 1960s on has a cush drive, so it isn't like you don't have selection. Since the sprocket carrier seems to be intergral to the chain drive enclosure that is the piece you need to build around, which means you need to take your rear wheel to the boneyard and find another wheel that has a similar internal layout for the rubbers. start by finding wheel and sprocket carrier combos and test fitting the sprocket carrier to your wheel.

personally I don't really see the big flap about spoked rims...seems like a lot of work for antiquated tech.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by catboy

quote:
personally I don't really see the big flap about spoked rims...seems like a lot of work for antiquated tech.
because cafe racers must have wires dude!
that is the kind of gay "rent boys sucking off vicars" thinking that will bring the legions of dotheton style mavens down upon us....you want to bring the apoclaypse? do ya?!!??!!!?!?!?!?!??!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well....basically I just like the classic look of wire wheels more than modern mags. Yes, it's that simple.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The Yamahas that I have in the garage all use a three vane cush drive. That is FZ600, FZ750, and XJ550.

Ken

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The Yamahas that I have in the garage all use a three vane cush drive. That is FZ600, FZ750, and XJ550.

Ken

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

quote:
that is the kind of gay "rent boys sucking off vicars" thinking that will bring the legions of dotheton style mavens down upon us....you want to bring the apoclaypse? do ya?!!??!!!?!?!?!?!??!
don't tell me i gotta start rockin' the gay little smilies to indicate sarcasm...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

quote:
don't tell me i gotta start rockin' the gay little smilies to indicate sarcasm...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts