Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got my motorcycle running for the first time since buying it over a month ago. The problem is gas just started flowing out of the carb drains it is a 1979 honda cb 650 and I just put a rebuilt set of carbs on it. I also put pod air filters on without rejetting could this be the culprit? whats going on?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You have a carb float level problem. Re-check the float levels in your carbs, this is a common issue.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
the "carb drains" are actually overflows. your float isn't stopping the gas from filling the bowls. the neddle and seat may be a little corroded and isn't seal against eachother causeing gas to keep flowing. did your carb kit include float needles and seat? most do not. they are about $50 a set for the CB750's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't rebuild them I bought them from a motorcycle company that specializes in older motorcycles, these were supposed to rebuilt to factory setting.:(

·
Registered
94 Posts
"If you turn on the fuel petcock and gas pours out the overflow tube, tap lightly on the carb body with a plastic hammer(or something like it). That will jiggle the fuel inlet needle loose. Same thing if there is dirt holding the needle open. If it doesn't work you might need a new needle & seat."

-www.dansmc.com

I had the same problem, hope that helps :)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
or if that doesn't work you may have trash or debris in your fuel tank or hoses

you may also have a bad float

it happens

quote:Originally posted by Kevvo16

"If you turn on the fuel petcock and gas pours out the overflow tube, tap lightly on the carb body with a plastic hammer(or something like it). That will jiggle the fuel inlet needle loose. Same thing if there is dirt holding the needle open. If it doesn't work you might need a new needle & seat."

-www.dansmc.com

I had the same problem, hope that helps :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts