Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my 77 CB550 into the garage (screw north dakota winters) I pulled off the tank, drained out all the old gas, and drained out the floats, threw in some new gas, plugs, and battery, choked it and it started right up, but only on the left 2 cylinders. I checked for spark on the two that werent running and the spark great, so i yanked off the carbs (would this be my problem?) The float needles on one was very sticky, and all the floats hung at different heights.

Problem: I am finding a VERY hard time finding carb kits for the 77 cb550K, i can only find them up to 76. I found the float needles, but what other bikes will the pilot jets, needle, and gaskets work? 77 cb750?? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If I am not mistaken the coils run 1&4 and 2&3 so unless you center cylinders or your outer cylinders were out it is not electrical.

Get a manual. SOHC4.net has one you can download if you search their forums.

stuck needles and floats are two big issues that would keep you from getting the fuel your engine needs. Do yourself a favor and get a can of carb dip (berryman and Gunk still make them), disassemble the carbs and submerge all the hard parts (no rubber). Leave them overnight and they will be fairly clean (I would go over it with some brushes, compressed air, and fine wire like that from a guitar string to make sure no passages are blocked). This is called a carb rebuilds and you need to know how to do this if you are going to own a vintage bike.

Before you rip your carbs apart (and I strongly urge you to rip your carbs apart) try checking the floats to make sure they are not sunk (ie they fill with gas) and then set the proper height on the carbs that are giving you trouble.

As far as rebuild kits, really you are only going to need the gaskets as the hard parts don't really wear out. The float needle is the exception, if there is a definate ridge worn into the point it will need to be replaced. Honda still sells all the hard carb parts individually.

There are aftermarket kits for those carbs made by K&L and Keyster, but whatever you do DO NOT USE THE HARD PARTS LIKE JETS AND NEEDLES from these kits. They are good for the gaskets only (and sometimes they are not even good for that). Joe has had luck with one of these kits (I can't remember which one) but I have not. Sudco should have the kits for the later 550 carbs but I have not checked.

CB750 carbs are not the same and to the best of my knowledge nothing swaps over.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
in 77 they switched to those other style carbs. for 77 and 78. they are a pain in the ass. my bike runs kind fucked up too until its really good and hot. i used the k&l when i did my 350 carbs at mido. if they are good enough for stan lippert, theyre good enough for me! like geet said, though, only the float needle should be looked at. if they are stuck up, you wont get gas into the carb bowl, so it wont run. take them apart one at a time. so you can use others as a model. and get a book!

but make sure those floats are good and working correctly.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, got the carbs ripped apart. One of the float needles was really gunked up, stuck at the top, and the pilot jets (not sure if thats what they are, lots of holes going up the side) were pretty gunky as well as the main jets that screw into them. I was going to order 4 new idle air mixture jets, because the tips look a little cocked on them, and my fingernail catches the side. What do you guys think? Also, until i get my book in the mail, whats the stock measurement on the float hang? 15mm?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts