Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few months back my perfect condition 96 Honda cb250 was stolen. It was recovered two weeks later, but with almost everything cosmetic stripped off, some parts were replaced with inferior parts, the bike was poorly spray painted and the rear of the frame was chopped off.
I am a huge fan of cafe racers, and i've decided to make the best of it by turning the bike into one. (i was actually planning on selling it soon, and buying a cb750 or cb400, but this ruined my plans) My budget is pretty low compared to many projects, and i do have an uncommon requirement that it needs to accommodate two people (even if cramped and not comfortable for long distance) because my wife loves to ride with me.

I have it running mechanically now, and have replaced the important pieces such as lights, mirrors, ignition switch, filters, fuses, etc. Now i just need to make it look nice.

I have found some seats that i love on ebay, within my budget, but I need help deciding if two people could ride with them.

This
Brown Honda CB200 CB350 CB400SS CB500 CB550 CB750 Vintage Hump Cafe Racer Seat | eBay
or this
Black Honda CB350 CB400 CB500 CB550 CB650 CB750 Vintage Cafe Racer Saddle Seat | eBay

The seating area is 14.6" long, but the actual seat itself (including the hump) is about 21". I had her sit behind me on a bike and see how long one would need to be, and it looks like 16-17" was enough. (i will remeasure later). would these seats work? could she sit on the hump? would that be potentially dangerous?

also, anybody know of a cheaper place to get one of these? or make one
Tail Hump Cover for Cafe Racer | eBay
its a removable hump cover to give it a sweet cafe look, but can also be removed to allow more space on the rear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll post some pictures once I get a chance to take some good ones of the frame. I haven't done it yet, but once I know what seat I end up with, I am going to cut off a bit more of the rear frame (they did a bad job, and it is uneven) and weld on a rear loop.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
If anything, go for a full seat and buy the cover for when you want to pose solo. There is nothing worse than having someone cramped up your ass while you're trying to ride (even if it is a supermodel).

BTW - that cover is $26. How much cheaper do you think it should be??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts