Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CB500T has a dark green wire that is not connected to anything and i cant seem to find where it goes. It is wrapped with a black and a gray wire coming of the main harness. the black and gray wires connect to the turn signal relay. The only thing electrical not working on this bike is the charging system. Based on the wiring diagram below i thought that it was the green wire coming of the rectifier connector. However i am reading 0 ohms between the green wire on the right rear turn signal and the green wire in the rectifier connector. If some can look at thier bike and find where this is connected i would appreciate it.

Wiring Diagram Now In Color. http://www.osg.se/sweb/cb450/TechTips/Data/electrix2.htm

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it's got a connector on the end, it's not the green from the rectifier = there are no bullet connectors between the rectifier and the main harness wiring, just the four-wire block.

Does your horn work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes horn works. The green wire has one of those small clear rubber/plastic wraps and then a 1/4" quick connect. The wire is between the main harness and the turn signal relay. One other thing to note is that the turn signal relay is not in it stock position. Is is just sitting loose next to the battery. Fortunately this appears to be the only thing out of place.

Edited by - Jwood on Aug 10 2007 12:55:45 PM

Edited by - Jwood on Aug 10 2007 12:59:30 PM

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct and using an ohmmeter confirms that the loose wire is grounded. So the question still remains, what on my bike is not being grounded? I thought it was the rectifier b/c my charging system is the only thing that doesnt work. But it seems that is not the case.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What do you mean by 1/4" quick connect? Describe. To my knowledge the only free connector in that harness is brown, and it hangs out in the headlight bucket in case you should need it. Anyway, it's hot, not ground. But as I say, there are no individual green connectors between the VR/rectifier and ground.

You really just need to test every component piece by piece. You can disconnect the four-block wire connector from harness to alternator and check for voltage with the bike RUNNING: yellow, pink and white on alternator side should have voltage. After reconnecting, check the connector going into the VR - yellow and red on harness side should have v. At the rectifier, pink, yellow and red/white on the harness side should all have v. All that is with the bike running.

That should get most of the connectors in play. If you've tested the components, and you've ruled out the wiring between them, all that's left to keep your bike from charging is magic or failure to rev high enough to beat the draw and make some spare juice.

a

Edited by - xander450 on Aug 10 2007 9:18:33 PM

·
Registered
687 Posts
check to see if all of the wires are in your 4-block. they are the same sort of connectors bunched together in the block.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
66 Posts
as far as i know, almost all older hondas have this disconnected wire; what it's for, i cant tell you, but don't let it drive you crazy. just leave it disconnected. some newer bikes actually used this wire in their turn signal relay, but this was in the eighties. your stock style flasher only uses the two wires.

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts