Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided I'm not going to roll with these chrome stock wheels. Although I've put some serious time into cleaning them up they just aren't going to cut it. I'm putting to much t&m into this bike to sacrifice when it comes to the wheels.

Can anyone recommend someone/somewhere that can lace my stock cb450 hubs up to a set aluminum wheels?

Thanks,

Jason

...i did it one piece at a time

·
Registered
453 Posts
it's not really at all hard to lace wheels yourself. just pay attention to the pattern theyre laced up in so that when you get the new wheels and spokes you'll know what to do.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Buchanan's can do whatever you need. http://www.buchananspokes.com/

Fuzzybutt's right it's not that hard to lace them yourself. I just take a marker and mark the old rim by each spoke so I can remember the pattern. I've never tried to true one myself, the dirtbike shop I deal with doesn't charge much if you bring in an already laced wheel. There was a thread on supermotojunkie where the guy said he just used 2 sawhorses and the axle for a truing stand.

·
Registered
687 Posts
while you have them in pieces you could always have them powder coated. i think that's a pretty sharp look, considering doing it myself.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I thought about powder coating them. Black wheels with nice polished hubs and spokes. My only concern was that the rims would chip over time... Not like powder coating rims on a car - they're in much more contact with the ground.

Plus the weight, I need to see how much a new set of polished aluminum wheels are. If a new set w/ spokes is like $500 bills then yeah, I'd break these down, hand polish the existing spokes and pay $50 each to have the wheels powder coated.

I'll let everyone know what I end up doing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
anytime you polish a metal your'e taking small amounts of metal away. doing that with spokes is bot usually a good thing, it can weaken them too much and make for an unsafe wheel. for the money just get the new spokes.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I never even would have thought of that! Guess that's why you have the fuzzybut though! :)

Thanks man, so it's settled. I'll order up a set of new spokes from Buchanans, polish up my hubs, powder coat the wheels black and get them all put back together.

Shit! What about the dual disc brakes on wanted to put upfront... ARGH! So many things to do!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i might have a set of aluminum akronts i'd sell you.....

let me think about it for a day.

texy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts