Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Headlight and instruments plus footpeg mounts are Honda CB72/77. Triple clamps are Ceriani.

rear brake is more or less what we used to do to our race bike rear brakes, and some of us did that to cafe racers back in the day. Backing plate is Honda - not CB72/77 but perhaps Honda Cb500.

Frame is odd though. The joins are pretty flimsy and the trellis looks like a Yetman inspired idea which suggests a locally home made from the seventies. Maybe inspired by the SB1 Bimota.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Rear brake plate looks like OEM honda CB550/500. I can check mine latter.

Bimota frames normally wrap around the motor more. For many the goal was to get the head off with the motor in the frame.
Any Yetmans I have seen do not wrap under the engine.

Where was this found?
That might help with ideas of who would have been building stuff like this.

·
Registered
CB500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am in Idaho.

The frame fits very tight to the engine...there are small notches is certain areas to provide the clearance from the engine. These notches are not hack job notches done to make the engine fit after it was built either. I think the engine drops out relatively easily with the lower frame section. Seems like a quick way of swapping out the engine.

I cleaned it up a bit more yesterday and still didn't find anything to identify it. In cleaning it though, it does look like all of the street electronics were added after (there were a few mounting holes drilled for the electronics, which doesn't match everything else that was done on the bike).

I also reached out to Bimota to see if they had a historian that might be able to identify a early bike....the said they don't, hahaha

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Bimota kinda lied to you.

Bob is the knower of all things Bimota in the USA

It really does not look like any Bimota frame I have seen.

·
Registered
CB500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bimota kinda lied to you.

Bob is the knower of all things Bimota in the USA

It really does not look like any Bimota frame I have seen.
I agree that it doesn't look like a Bimota frame, other than a few elements. I am just trying to cover all my bases, hahaha

Thank you all for the resources!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts