Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CafeRacer.net!

This is my first forum post, so I am not familiar with any sort of unwritten etiquette about forum posts, but I need help from people who know what they're talking about!

I currently own a 1998 CBR 600 F3... yes, a sport bike. Now I know what you are all thinking, "What's a kid with an iconic sport bike doing on a cafe racer forum?" Well, when I bought it I knew I wanted to make it a naked bike. The fairings were trash and I really don't like the paint job, so I figured why not redo the whole look? I always hated "streetfighter" bikes, or bikes that basically just changed the front fairing, I wanted something more. Then I came across the cafe racer style and quickly fell in love!

Therefore, I decided to tap into your collective knowledge about cafe racer projects and humbly ask you for your help! I need all of your tips, expertise, recommendations, everything!

I have a very limited mechanical experience, so dumbing down any and all information would be much appreciated ;)

Thanks!

Stephen

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The etiquette isn't "unwritten", here......

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/new-members-read-here/22280-read-first.html

Tell us more about yourself. Skills, experience, your plan, what your goals are, etc. You need to know that this forum is more about function over form. ...and people tend to be brutally honest, so grow a thick skin and take advice for what it is, not how it's delivered.

·
Registered
262 Posts
where in PA? does your bike run? is it safe? does it have paperwork to be legal and inspected?
do you have riding experience...do you have proper gear?
once youve sorted all that out then just enjoy riding...style comes last.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Forget trying to make a CBR600 steel framer into a café bike. All the frame angles are wrong, and the spindly seat subframe basically looks like shit.

Forget the whole totally wanky notion of the ' open triangle look ' with this bike. The bike will lose power and run like absolute shit with pod airfilters, regardless of what you do. The carbs are designed and tuned to use a nice big still - air airbox.

Just strip some crap off, rattlecan the bike matt black and just ride the sucker.

Your model CBR is a very good sport bike, and it won't become any other type of dream bike in a fit of desire or cash. Honestly.

Stop polluting your brain gazing at Tripebuns and Ike'sEXIT cartooncafer bikes. I hope it's not too late.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Oh look, this again.

Hey I have zero idea what I am doing but have a motorcycle and love to jerk off to hipster pictures on the web of café racers.
So I figure people back in the day just used what ever shit they had lying around, so will I.
My plan is to ruin how the bike works, Im not racing anyway, to get a kick ass look.
Don't have any tools and assume this will all cost $247 all in.

Zero chance of using this bike for what you are talking about.

play to a bikes strengths.

·
Registered
865 Posts
F3's could be had cheaper than they should be many times, but this is still no reason to make it look like a pile of shit.

I've seen a few good looking ones that have had 600rr tails installed and shit like that. Want to go for a more vintage look without making it look like complete ass? Maybe take a few cues from Church of Choppers Kawi? I think it actually looks pretty good without over doing it... Maybe mix n match? 600rr tail and front fender, some belly pan with a vintage style front fairing?
cocCoC+ZX10R.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts