Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could help out on how to identify my bike. Is it a US spec or UK spec bike. I bought the bike over here in England. image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
If you have the engine and frame numbers give Robinsons a ring 01227 454366

Hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What if there is no Vin Plate or no Vin stamp into the frame on the bike? What is another way to identify the bike? Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
What's it say on the V5? You sound as if you're in trouble tbh.. it might be hot.

You could check the engine number? it'll be stamped on the case somewhere.. unless it's been ground off. I recently found out that my engine number is partialy removed (though the VIN is fine and clean). DVLA didnt' want to know about it and the cops aren't phased either. Slightly annoyed as I know at some point i'm going to get pulled by an over zealous policeman and have the book thrown at me.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
What if there is no Vin Plate or no Vin stamp into the frame on the bike? What is another way to identify the bike? Thanks
The number on the engine would have originally been the same # as the VIN stamped on the original frame. In my experience for both to be missing that would identify it as a stolen bike.

Bureaucrats are basically stupid and generally pay attention only to the VIN on the frame. I know this because I once had a stealership "procure" my original insurance write off frame and VIN, then they built a bike around it. My motorcycle now has a frame VIN that starts with RBT for rebuilt and a bunch of numbers based largely on my birth date. None of this came to light until I went to renew my plates one year and the DOT told me my motorcycle had been sold twice that year.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I dont think thats necesseraily true TrialsRider.. I've just been talking to a friend about this .. most modern bikes have engines and chassis made in seperate factories at different times so the numbers never match - all you can find out is that they are in the right number ranges for that particular type of bike. In the old days British bikes wre made in one factory and the numbers only stamped right at the end as they were shipped. Although this isn't always true either, depended on the maker and what year.

For example my zephyrs VIN never would have matched my engine number.

(edit) I think the VIN is a 17 digit number and the engine number is a 10 digit one.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm 99.9% positive that the gs550 doesnt have matching VIN and engine numbers.. hondas of the same age didnt match I believe.

Anyway, all of this is redudant as we dont know if he even has an engine number still.

I dont know enough about Suzuki's (suprisingly i've never owned one) to know if thats an E model or not but heck, below is a link to the correct formatting for engine and frame numbers
Suzuki GS550E - CycleChaos

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
E model had mag wheels. The non E model had spokes and single disc front end. That bike is already modified with the dual discs. It could be an E model with the spoke wheel mod. The legal VIN# is on the neck of the frame, the engine VIN# is not important for registration or ownership. Surprisingly many European countries did not require VIN#'s until the 90's.
Here's all you need to know about Suzuki Vin#'s:

My Suzuki Pages - FAQ: identification

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Are you saying there is no chassis # stamped on the neck? If that's the case it's been ground off and you are probably looking at a stolen frame.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
These are from my CB400f but Suzuki should have something quite similar. There will be a VIN Tag secured to the neck on one side giving much info on the bike.
On the other side or elsewhere on the neck the VIN number itself will be stamped into the metal.
Many times this VIN plate is removed for frame refinishing or what have you. If it's missing , it's no big deal, it's not required.

If the stamped VIN numbers in the metal are gone you now basically ave a nice boat anchor. If this is the case I would make sure I have the contact info of the subject you bought it from and hope you have a bill of sale or something to keep him from denying it and go to the police and have them check it out for stolen. There are ways to retrieve ground off numbers easily.

If you put that bike together with that frame you may well lose the whole bike the first time you try and register it or get pulled over on it. Mine was confiscated for less and it was a hassle getting it back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey everyone, thanks for y'all's help. I did find the vin on the frame. I had to scrap away some of the paint. Vin number is GS550E-148**4

·
Registered
179 Posts
The frame# on 77 gs550 went from 100000 to 109000. 78gs550 went from 110000 to? Mine is #107374 with original engine # 107524, so no, they don't match. My82 550 katana is # 242510 and is a model mz. My best guess is that your bike is an 80. However it is a thrown together assortment of parts from 77-85. I would have checked with authorities before buying it, and you still should. If you haven't already , to be sure it was not a stolen bike. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The more I look at your bike, the more a mish-mash it becomes.

I'd say it was originally an L model by the footpeg hanger brackets, but the wheels are earlier model spokes......the forks are later model (without anti-dive) and the dsics are later model as well (you can tell by the pattern of the carrier). Suzuki suspension and brake parts where very interchangeable on the GS models, so all this stuff could bolt together pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I know that the forks and front brakes are from an 82 550 MZ. They are identical to the ones I put on my 79 550. The 83 model had the anti-dive.

You can see them on page 5 of my build thread (link in my signature)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts