Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
The street bikes appear to me more, we already have a couple dirt bikes and a an old Honda 125 (pretty fun little bike). I found a 1980 Yamaha XS850 for $2,000 and a 1979 Honda CB750F for $1500 that is in boxes with rebuilt engine, etc. Thoughts on those two?
Boxes of parts sounds scary, is that an XS850G or a cruiser version? Either way it's a shaft drive on a travers engine that has a chain primary which considering the vintage also sounds scary, does it run?

Reactions: 3364

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
I'd pass on a cruiser version if the intent was to cafe racer. The Honda CB750 engine complete and running would be nice if you intended to build a frame from scratch otherwise meh. CB750 make nice kneeler sidecar engines.

·
Read Only
0 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a K75RT Scrambler/cafe conversion last year and am looking for something new to do. I’m not afraid of welding, engine tear down, etc. I’ve looked into the GS850, and heard they are super heavy and don’t make great cafe racers, cx500 is weak, Honda CB is super common but I’d be willing to do one. Ultimately I want good power and low weight with a chassy that’s willing to listen. Any suggestions?
Here is my BMW i did:

View attachment 106608
View attachment 106609
Find an rd, sooooo much fun

21 - 28 of 28 Posts