Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my bike and engine runs but I want to just go through things as I know it's been sitting for a bit. I was told to just go though the carbs and see how she does is that a good idea? And if so iv gotten a lot of different things on what exactly that Will take from just spraying cleaner in them to a full rebuild. I want to do everything myself (to a point don't wanna do to much and hurt something) so any advice or how to's would be awesome! image.jpg

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would recommend getting a manual for the bike and go thru it from one end to the other. Check and change all the fluids and give it a tune up. More than one person on this form have made the mistake of running their new purchase without checking anything only to have a problem with old oil (or no oil) and suffer a serious problem. After you satisfied the bike is safe and sound - take it for a ride and see how it performs. If it shifts ok and runs well then your clear to go with a build. It's a little ugly looking at the moment but a little clean up and a fresh coat of paint should change that...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend getting a manual for the bike and go thru it from one end to the other. Check and change all the fluids and give it a tune up. More than one person on this form have made the mistake of running their new purchase without checking anything only to have a problem with old oil (or no oil) and suffer a serious problem. After you satisfied the bike is safe and sound - take it for a ride and see how it performs. If it shifts ok and runs well then your clear to go with a build. It's a little ugly looking at the moment but a little clean up and a fresh coat of paint should change that...

Haha ya she's not to pretty figure I'll make sure it's running solid before I worry about that though.
Luckily I got the manual with it so ill do that! Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
that looks like a good starting point to work from. As far as the carbs my best advice is don't over tighten the float bowl screws, the threads strip very easily, they just need to be snug.

I would do a back to back oil change and oil your throttle and clutch cables and and get an experienced mechanic to adjust you points, tappets, check your timing and sync your carbs. Your carbs may just need a good cleaning. if it has been sitting for a while you may want to look into replacing your jets and needles with new ones. Keep the air filter and exhaust stock for now because with a stock set up you don't have to worry about fine tuning carbs. It is a lot easier to just replace oem parts than diagnose problems you've created by modifying your engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts