Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all it’s the shop teacher again and I’m in a bunch of trouble. If you don’t know this already Rick and I are going to Mid Ohio and the ARMA is making a bit of a big deal out of it as far as we have heard. Any way our bike is not running right yet and the folks at Mid Ohio want to do a parade lap with the bikes before the premier race. Well I can only get 1 gear (and it is not 1st) and neutral. Can anyone help me out with this problem? The dogs are all in the right place I think it has to do with either the linkage that is behind the clutch basket or the star shaped thing that the linkage moves. Any ideas or help would be great! I’m going to Rochester for 2 weeks for this silly training for work and I will only have 3 days to tackle this problem. Unless there is someone that can help out in the Rochester area in that case Ill bring the bike with me their. Any way all help is greatly appreciated and either way I hope to see some of you in Ohio. We will be in the pit section and that is ware the bikes will be on display come up and say hi!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
tommy d (wera regular and maarc instructor) lives in rochester, ny....

he is a kawi guy, but he might be able to help (or know someone local).

ping him on the wera bbs,

i don't have any info for tommy, but i'll cross pollinate this thread over there and keep you posted.

good luck.

tex

p.s.- i got no knowledge of cb350 trannies, or any trannies for that matter (effin' champ was salivating on that one)!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
you should email buff harsh at todd henning racing.

home.earthlink.net/~toddhenningracing/

stan lipert in cleveland would be a good person to ask as well (no info on stan either).

i'm like really half-assed help, sorry!

tex

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Ill try to get intouch with the guy in Rochester tommrow
As for any other info im up for it.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Typically that's going to be a problem with the assembly of the gearbox...as mentioned by others. My guess is a shift fork in backwards. There's three of them, left, middle, right, they are labeled. A careful assembly with a parts diagram at hand will probably solve it. Hook up the shift lever and make sure everything shifts as it should before you button it up. The star wheel and detent mechansim is usually a no brainer as the star wheel is typically located by a pin on the drum...can't be in the wrong place. If you never took apart the gear clusters then the problem is most likely in the shift forks, ....you have the right on the left, etc.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
and ill add, never take apart the actual cluster. at least, thats my .02. i mean, its looks nuts to put back together.

jc

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well we did take everything apart and Im asumong that I have the star thing in wrong since the kids lost the pins to it so we had to wing it back togatheras for the shift forks I followed the manuals on puting them back togather, now that dosent mean I did it wright! can any one tell me what to look for in the shift drum??? I would like to check that before I tear the motor appart again
Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Richie,
The Star wheel HAS to be in EXACTLY the right place...that's why the pin(s) are there....I mean exactly the right place.
Also quite possible it will move around on the drum without the pin and it won't even be wrong consistantly.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GREAT! well Im cleaning out my garage to find the tool I made to take off the oil filter. Then ill let you know what I have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts