Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so like i said somewhere else. i have a GS450 ... and they have these pretty sweet pentagram wheels.. however the look of this bike does not follow the "satan is my only friend" mold.. so im trying to jump on the bandwagon and swap some wheels to something spoked... maybe anodized red or green or something wacky... anyhow.. what do i need to start looking for? like spindle size? Overall size, width..

i dont even know where to start ... i saw some wheels on a KZ but i dont know what i should be looking for with sprockets and all the brake nonsense touching them...

help please.. i need some wheel swapping basics..

http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
your first stop should be to:

www.thegsresources.com

these are an online GS resource page and forum that might be able to help you a little more with the technical specifics of your bike. They will also know what swaps over between bikes.

I am not sure but I am hoping that the gs450 wheels are similar enough to the gs750 wheels of the same design to allow you to use the earlier gs750 spoked rims - but I don't know for sure. I think the first year GS450 or GS550 used spoked rims but I could also be mistaken.

The GS snowflake spokes were suzuki's response to the popularity of aftermarket snowflake wheels distributed by companies like henry abe and popular with cafe and road racers. Personally I would keep them because you can run a tubless tire (unlike a spoked rim) and they are fairly light. Try painting them or getting creative and see if that will help the look. There was someone a while ago on the honda chopper board who made diamondplate inserts for the ugly mags he pirated off an 80's crusier.

the way I see it there are two way to go about this: find a wheel that is compatible with your brake system, or find a whole front end that uses a spoked rim and swap that. Surprisingly enough the safest and easiest way may be the latter.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I suspect that the spoke rims from a GS400 or 425 would bolt right up. Suzuki may have made an econo version of the 450 that came with spoke rims, too.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys i am gonna turn over some rocks...

every time i see this bike it has these guys on it.. so i figured they all came with this.. this econo 400 L or something i have seen may prove to be worth a peek.

http://www.driftalliance.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts